Help on hills needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

eh? so two people with the same gearing, same w/kg - but one is quicker..?? Tell me how the 'better technique' will make them quicker please..??

I'm fine with analogies - but I am having trouble making sense out of your random waffle.

Obviously the one not wasting energy due to poor technic !:thumbsup:

Obviously the one not wasting energy due to poor technic !:thumbsup:

yeah, that really moves things on....

U

User6179

eh? so two people with the same gearing, same w/kg - but one is quicker..?? Tell me how the 'better technique' will make them quicker please..??

I'm fine with analogies - but I am having trouble making sense out of your random waffle.

Just noticed you said same gearing , lets say one rider grinding up a 15% climb out the saddle in a 39-20 as opposed to another rider sitting with a higher cadence in a 34-25 , would you not call this technic?

Just noticed you said same gearing , lets say one rider grinding up a 15% climb out the saddle in a 39-20 as opposed to another rider sitting with a higher cadence in a 34-25 , would you not call this technic?

I wouldn't call it 'technic' (don't they make hi-fi equipment?). But I wouldn't call it technique either. The assumption is that they are both riding up hill at the same speed/power, with the same final drive, regardless of cadence and actual gear choice, because such things are largely down to individual preference.

U

User6179

I wouldn't call it 'technic' (don't they make hi-fi equipment?). But I wouldn't call it technique either. The assumption is that they are both riding up hill at the same speed/power, regardless of cadence and gear choice, because such things are largely down to individual preference.

Ok so someone answers your question so you change the question :wacko:

Ok so someone answers your question so you change the question :wacko:

Er, no. Two riders with the same gearing - same w/kg - exactly what I said at the top of the page, so what's changed..? Cadence and gear selection have to be individual choices, for obvious reasons.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
mate - you are at risk of disappearing up your own arse

What a pleasant post.............

U

User6179

Er, no. Two riders with the same gearing - same w/kg - exactly what I said at the top of the page, so what's changed..? Cadence and gear selection have to be individual choices, for obvious reasons.

So you lose the argument so change the argument to something else, are you female by any chance?:smile:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The truth rarely is, unfortunately. This thread is a good example of that.

No one is disputing that fitness is the biggest influencing factor by a long long way, but as posting links to more experienced riders comments extolling the virtues of good hill climbing technique makes me "disappear up my own arse" Can you explain why you referred to "sensible advice" in relation to hill climbing then argued that it wasn't "technique" which is semantics. Why was this "sensible advice" implying you should do it, and yet you argue that it will make no difference to your climbing speed. To quote you "Gearing, cadence and position are all useful (if somewhat elementary) considerations while climbing" Surely two identical riders who have exactly the same fitness levels will end up at the top of the climb at different times if one applies their power in a more efficient manner on the road possibly by using a better chosen gear, a more appropriate cadence for their physiology and a good position. If not why do people tell you to do it?

This is a genuine non ironic question.

Oh and as you are so keen on this maybe you could show us some scientific data as to identical energy transfer while climbing in different standing positions and when seated.

One last thing if you could avoid refering to my arse and try not to answer in a Clarksonesque its all about the POWER type of response I would appreciate it.

Top Bottom