Help organising a group ride across France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I am on the committee of a group trying to organise a ride from the UK to Barcelona in late June early July 2023. It is for a charity, although will not necessarily be a charity ride as a fundraiser, but all of the people have a medical condition. The medical condition benefits dramatically from Cycling! So I am hoping that the attendees will all be people who are keen cyclists rather than complete amateurs

I have masses of long-distance cycle touring experience, including across Europe, across the USA, and France end to end of each direction

I know what works for me, and that would be touring bike with panniers and camping in municipal sites. But this is going to be a mixed ability group some of whom have never cycled more than 20 miles in a day, and I have to accept that probably hotels will be the way to go. So we are likely going to be looking for van support and pick up those people who need help.

Can anyone recommend an organisation who would be able to help with planning on booking for this. I suspect we need more than an enthusiastic amateur with a van and trailer.

For the time being I am just looking for names of organisations that you think might be useful.

jay

I am on the committee of a group trying to organise a ride from the UK to Barcelona in late June early July 2023. It is for a charity, although will not necessarily be a charity ride as a fundraiser, but all of the people have a medical condition. The medical condition benefits dramatically from Cycling! So I am hoping that the attendees will all be people who are keen cyclists rather than complete amateurs

I have masses of long-distance cycle touring experience, including across Europe, across the USA, and France end to end of each direction

I know what works for me, and that would be touring bike with panniers and camping in municipal sites. But this is going to be a mixed ability group some of whom have never cycled more than 20 miles in a day, and I have to accept that probably hotels will be the way to go. So we are likely going to be looking for van support and pick up those people who need help.

Can anyone recommend an organisation who would be able to help with planning on booking for this. I suspect we need more than an enthusiastic amateur with a van and trailer.

For the time being I am just looking for names of organisations that you think might be useful.

jay

Would it be an idea to contact any sister organisations of the charity in France?
If cycling is beneficial to the medical condition chances are there will be cyclists in the organisation? Cyclists = contacts

I don't envy you your task.
One option would be to research two "tours" - one that you're familiar with in terms of panniers, camping etc. and the second as a supported ride.
People who are interested in either sign up and choose one option. The more popular option is the one that's done. You may be surprised!

And none of that answers your question! ^_^

Try the ACA in the US. They do a lot of supported tours. Given there's an ocean between ye they might share their procedures.
Or else hit up every touring company that offers tours in those parts of the world. Try to sell the PR angle. With the right publicity they may be able to tap into a niche market.

Good luck!!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
https://www.pieevents.co.uk/

these guys organised charity rides for both a coast to coast and an Oxford to Venice for my old college. they were very professional. no idea how the commercials worked though, i was just a participant.

they sorted out food accommodation ride leaders and ride support vans etc

Top Bottom