Help Parents want me to get a job after school.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

So Arch wants to be a star traveller eh?

Its a bit more tricky than riding an Audax. For a start, it's three dimensional.
You have to know where your pulsars are.

And another thing to remember, the 'landscape' is moving :angry::smile:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
jimboalee said:
So Arch wants to be a star traveller eh?

Its a bit more tricky than riding an Audax. For a start, it's three dimensional.
You have to know where your pulsars are.

And another thing to remember, the 'landscape' is moving :biggrin::laugh:
Technically it's moving on an Audax too, as the Earth revolves on its axis, and around the Sun, and the Milky Way around the... etc. etc. :laugh:

jimboalee

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Technically it's moving on an Audax too, as the Earth revolves on its axis, and around the Sun, and the Milky Way around the... etc. etc. :biggrin:

Yes, technically you are correct, but, and it's a BIG BUT, a bicycle's wheels usually ( and I use the word 'usually' in a relative kind of way ) stay in contact with Terra Firma.

Unless however, you have packed you frame with too much Anti-G.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I think I want to be a champion MTB'er. I have ridden a few technical routes and have passed my Level 1 Support Riders Course. I am almost 40 years old but as I have set my heart on it I will do it!!!!! ......................Meanwhile back in the real world...................

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I am sure I read somewhere about racing teams using Helium in their tyres instead of plain old air............ Enough of that and who knows................Then again maybe I dreamed it :biggrin:
jimboalee said:
Yes, technically you are correct, but, and it's a BIG BUT, a bicycle's wheels usually ( and I use the word 'usually' in a relative kind of way ) stay in contact with Terra Firma.

Unless however, you have packed you frame with too much Anti-G.

Angelfishsolo said:
I am sure I read somewhere about racing teams using Helium in their tyres instead of plain old air............ Enough of that and who knows................Then again maybe I dreamed it :biggrin:

helium molecules are much smaller than oxygen and so escape through the imperfect seal of the inntertube rendering this almost impossible to do although it does get joked about and possibly has been tried.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I was just looking on goggle and came to the same conclusion. It is interesting to note the some racing cars use Nitrogen because.............-

• Improved comfort of ride
  • Improved safety
  • Increased fuel savings
  • Improved life of tyre
Nitrogen has long been the accepted gas medium for filling aircraft tyres, racing tyres and heavy mining and construction vehicle tyres. Nitrogen is used for safety reasons and to ensure that tyres are always at a constant pressure. Compressed air, the traditional medium for inflating car tyres, contains both oxygen (21%) and nitrogen (78%).
The rubber tyre is like a membrane, through which oxygen permeates three times faster than the nitrogen. The result is that the oxygen slowly leaks out through the rubber walls, and the under-inflation leads to higher tyre wear with a consequent decrease in safety and comfort, and higher fuel costs.
Pushing tin said:
helium molecules are much smaller than oxygen and so escape through the imperfect seal of the inntertube rendering this almost impossible to do although it does get joked about and possibly has been tried.

surely if the oxygen is leaking out that quick then the tyre's rubber is degrading and ought to be coming up for being replaced?

this is under normal road use btw the high stresses of racing and aircraft don't apply

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Hello. Can you help?
I want to be a serious employee, but I keep going cycling.
I have joined an office, and use the computer every day.
I've even used my laptop in the evening.

arallsopp said:
Hello. Can you help?
I want to be a serious employee, but I keep going cycling.
I have joined an office, and use the computer every day.
I've even used my laptop in the evening.

i'm afraid its an addiction

help is available but you have to want to be cured.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I really did want to be an astronaut, when I was about 6. Before that I wanted to be a jockey for a while, but decided that was out, on the logical basis that I couldn't ride a horse. It never occured to me, it seems that I could learn. (Later, much, much, later I did, and discovered I'd never have had the courage for racing anyway)

The thing that worried me about being an astronaut though, was the G force on takeoff - in the Tintin book, it made them all pass out. I can;t remember what I decided on after that, but by the time I was doing O levels, I'd decided on being a vet, but A levels proved to be too big a jump, dedication and result wise. Currently, I'm sort of an archaeologist, but only on paper, and sort of an editorial assistant, since that's what I actually earn money at.

I'm still hoping one day I'll really know what I want to be when I grow up. At nearly 40, I'm running out of time.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Arch said:
I really did want to be an astronaut, when I was about 6. Before that I wanted to be a jockey for a while

Blimey. When I was 6 I wanted to be a fire engine.
Or an airport.

The footage documenting this last wish is pulled out with surprising regularity at family dos.

Arch

Married to Night Train
arallsopp said:
Blimey. When I was 6 I wanted to be a fire engine.
Or an airport.

The footage documenting this last wish is pulled out with surprising regularity at family dos.

An airport! Fantastic!:ohmy:

How many runways did you aspire to?

Top Bottom