Help Parents want me to get a job after school.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

got-to-get-fit

Sam.......

your dream is fantastic, it really is. If its what you want then move heaven and earth to get it.

However dreams take sacrifices and it does not sound like you have made many so far.

swimmers are up at 5am doing 100 lengths of the pool before school
Beckham used to stay behind after training with his youth side and practice on his own until it was too dark to see the ball.
Cyclists join clubs, compete, ride in the depths of winter and the heights of summer...every minute on the bike counts.

What have you done to kick start your dream?
You seem to be clocking up some miles but in reality i do more than you on my commute 5 days a week and then i ride extra at the weekend.....and believe me on that mileage im never going to make the Tour.

As usual there has been some excellent advice diepensed on this subject and you would do well to listen to some of it.

School isnt shoot its just that its a reality check to your dreams.

I really hope in a few years im watching you breakaway from the peleton on Mount Ventoux but to get there you are going you have to dig deep .....be prepared to give every ounce of your being to that dream and never loose focus. Hard work = success.

On the subject of school, every sportsman i can think of stayed on to get at least their GCSE's. Its just one of lifes essentials, why do you think soccer academies insist that their teen talent still maintains a good grade average whilst training for the club?

Besides without a proper education how are you going to count your Pro-Cyclict earnings xx(

Go for your dreams young man, but dont forget the basics along the way.

Finish school, join a club, race, put in plenty of miles, get a job to pay for your travel and bike gear, get noticed and get signed........see you on the Telly.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll find most of the GB's Tallent squad on various academic courses, including University...they work round it, you can too.

Plenty of top amateur cyclits with full time jobs, families etc. Go to College & University and get an education - it's hardly hard work..... Fit cycling in around it - you've all the time in the world - no real 'other' pressures...

Finishing school and bumming about won't get you anywhere - you need to get in a club, get training, get racing and get spotted. But you'll need to be good enough, and that doesn't take overnight - you need experience.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've decided I want to be an astronaut. I can tell the moon from Orion, so I'm going to eait until I know I can also identify Casseopiea, then I'm going to invite NASA to employ me. In the mean time, I shan't waste time working, Im going to stay home and watch repeats of The Sky at Night.

SAM, I have next to no interest in sporting cycling, or much knowledge about it, but I know a bit of good advice when I see it. JOIN A CLUB - see if you're really as good as you think you might be, and then get on with it.

Don't end up chasing this idea so far you end up unemployable. I wouldn't tell anyone they MUST go to college, or Uni, if they had a talent in some worthwhile field that didn't need it. But you appear to be utterly unproven so far, and until you get out and get yourself tested against others, you come across as pretty emptyheaded. Don't wait until you think you can win. If everyone waited to do something until they thought they were expert, no one would get anything done. Clubs are there to help you get better, not just to let you prove how good you are.

Arch

Married to Night Train
fossyant said:
Finishing school and bumming about won't get you anywhere - you need to get in a club, get training, get racing and get spotted. But you'll need to be good enough, and that doesn't take overnight - you need experience.

When I worked for Company of Cyclists (public tryout roadshows with loads of different types of bike), we used to have a certain kind of kid that came to roadshows - the sort that rode everything round the circuit at full tilt, and then skidded to a halt (or hit someone). My colleague used to do a great pisstake routine about how the force was strong in this one, and we must take him with us to become a cycling Jedi. Then we'd chuck them out. The kids (and adults) we respected were the ones who listened to instructions (esp the difference between hub abd derailleur gear changing), asked pertinant questions and didn't arse about trying to look big, when they didn't have a clue.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Perhaps SAM should enter that open stage when he's old enough - L'Etape? See if he thinks he could do it day after day...

Will1985

Über Member
Arch said:
Perhaps SAM should enter that open stage when he's old enough - L'Etape? See if he thinks he could do it day after day...
;) Minimum age is 18 - it'll be too late by then.

gavintc

Guru
Well there has been deafening silence from him about his new found club or his first attempts at a junior race.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sam

Get your head down and get your GCSE's. Then get a job to help fund cycling and keep the parents sweet! Enjoy your cycling and just see what happens in the future... It's good to have dreams.

Best of luck with it all,
SD

Will1985

Über Member
Now we've closed that one, Arch wants to know how to become an astronaut!!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Arch said:
I wouldn't tell anyone they MUST go to college, or Uni, if they had a talent in some worthwhile field that didn't need it. But you appear to be utterly unproven so far, and until you get out and get yourself tested against others, you come across as pretty emptyheaded.
So what are you trying to say, Arch? Come on, don't sit on the fence now. :biggrin:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I dont really think your taking this young man serious enough. Hes obviously more of a serious cyclist then most on here and by the summer he will be able to wipe the floor with all of us, and be up there with the pros.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Joe24 said:
I dont really think your taking this young man serious enough. Hes obviously more of a serious cyclist then most on here and by the summer he will be able to wipe the floor with all of us, and be up there with the pros.
FACT.

;);)

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Get the GCSEs. Get A Levels. Do something like Sport Science at university. Fill in the rest of the time by doing as much cycling as possible. If all that looks like too much effort, then I suspect that you lack the necessary motivation.

Top Bottom