Help Parents want me to get a job after school.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
rich p said:
This is a piss take, surely?

No. This guy really is serious about this. He put a post in the health bit a while back. He does 2miles on his bike a week, and did an hour a night on a excersice bike, and he said he wants to do the TDF.
Check it out, i wont put anything else on. I dont want to be seen as spoiling a kids dreams or as harsh.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Dayvo said:

I dont actually like work now, well actually, getting paid to stand around not doing much isnt bad.
What i ment was if i dont like having some crappy job, then i can go to uni and get a degree with the hope of getting a better job. If you get me blud:becool:;)

OP
OP
C

CyclingSAM

Joe24 said:
No. This guy really is serious about this. He put a post in the health bit a while back. He does 2miles on his bike a week, and did an hour a night on a excersice bike, and he said he wants to do the TDF.
Check it out, i wont put anything else on. I dont want to be seen as spoiling a kids dreams or as harsh.

2 miles a week? I do around 75 :

I do 2 miles to school and back, then do 10 miles in the evening i do this 7 times a week.

Plus i go on the exercise bike so probably another 30 odd?

Im going to start cycling in the morning before school the 10 mile route i do in the evenings meaning it would work out about 29 miles a day, doing that for 5-7 times a week is around 170-210 miles a week.

Im not in a club yet, i would like to join a club before the summer hoildays by then i should be good enough to win races

pedaling

I'm a teenager too. Most of my friends, the vast majority, have jobs. Those who don't have either relatively wealthy parents/ grandparents/ relatives who will sub them. This, however, is unlikely for most teenagers. And if you don't have such relatives, tough shoot, frankly.

Face up to the fact you cannot always rely on your parents. My parents made me get a job. They also noticed that with a job and boyfriend my grades were slipping so they let me give it up after a while. But I did do it, for several months, and I saved some money up so I didn't have to be so reliant after all.

I'm not expecting you to want to do it, or like it - what I think you ought to do though, is to face up to the reality that you need to learn to do some things for yourself. Like earning money. At least give it a go. If you hate it, pack it in once you've earnt some money.

garrilla

We've all said this before Sam, your dream is great and I really hope you make it, but you are so far off being even a cyclist that races let alone becoming part of the professional elite. You will need to take your head out of your ass before you can even get into the cycling position. If I were you I would plan my life around NOT becoming a pro-cyclist but work as hard as possible to try and make it a reality.

Are you too thick to go to college?

OP
OP
C

CyclingSAM

Hopefully aswell when i get my turbo sorted ill be aiming for 40 miles on that aswell a day.

Along with the 29 miles on the road.

OP
OP
C

CyclingSAM

pedaling said:
I'm a teenager too. Most of my friends, the vast majority, have jobs. Those who don't have either relatively wealthy parents/ grandparents/ relatives who will sub them. This, however, is unlikely for most teenagers. And if you don't have such relatives, tough shoot, frankly.

Face up to the fact you cannot always rely on your parents. My parents made me get a job. They also noticed that with a job and boyfriend my grades were slipping so they let me give it up after a while. But I did do it, for several months, and I saved some money up so I didn't have to be so reliant after all.

I'm not expecting you to want to do it, or like it - what I think you ought to do though, is to face up to the reality that you need to learn to do some things for yourself. Like earning money. At least give it a go. If you hate it, pack it in once you've earnt some money.

I use to work in my family job a greengrocers for 5 years! 9-14 i left to cycle more.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
CyclingSAM said:
2 miles a week? I do around 75 :

I do 2 miles to school and back, then do 10 miles in the evening i do this 7 times a week.

Plus i go on the exercise bike so probably another 30 odd?

Im going to start cycling in the morning before school the 10 mile route i do in the evenings meaning it would work out about 29 miles a day, doing that for 5-7 times a week is around 170-210 miles a week.

Im not in a club yet, i would like to join a club before the summer hoildays by then i should be good enough to win races

Sam, you really need a wake up call here. 170 - 210 miles a week and you think you are going to start winning races in the summer ? A lot on here do that just commuting week in week out.

Listen to your parents, get a job, join a club and take it from there.

pedaling

CyclingSAM said:
I use to work in my family job a greengrocers for 5 years! 9-14 i left to cycle more.

Well... you can't spend all your time cycling. I'm sure you can find some way to make money or have a part time job. Most people do. And if your parents are adamant they want you to get a job, then tough shoot, as I said. Their house, their rules. Just get on with it. I don't see the big problem really.

OP
OP
C

CyclingSAM

garrilla said:
Sam,

did you join a club yet?

No.

If i was in a club now id only be able to go at the weekends because of shitty school

Randochap

Senior hunter
CyclingSAM said:
If i was in a club now id only be able to go at the weekends because of shitty school

Generally, that's when clubs hold events -- when people are free from work and other life's obligations.

You seem to have a lot of excuses and very few logical plans to get you where you claim to want to go.

You will find that the most valuable skill in racing is not so much brute strength --no one cyclist is strong enough to hang in a peloton alone -- but tactical sense.

Top Bottom