Help PLEASE. Chain to short.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just been to Halfords to pick up a new chain. Tried to fit it and it appears way to short. It’s an 11 speed chain which I’m trying to fit to my ebike. I have a 11 - 48t cassette with a single front chain ring of 46t. If I run the chain around the largest gear on the back and the chain ring the chain is over an inch to short. Any much appreciated.
E0FC4172-5DC0-45CA-8B7D-535092D1E107.jpeg

iluvmybike

Über Member
You can buy chains with extra links for mahoosive sprockets like that - 118 links instead of 112/114. Alternatively assuming it is a new chain buy another and cut a piece the right length and join with a quicklink either end

OP
OP
roundisland
You can buy chains with extra links for mahoosive sprockets like that - 118 links instead of 112/114. Alternatively assuming it is a new chain buy another and cut a piece the right length and join with a quicklink either end
Thanks for that. Been back to Halfords and they kept telling me it will fit. It definitely won’t. Wish they’d told me that.

OP
OP
roundisland
The reason I went with the 48t cassette was I’d changed my bike to an ebike. The kit only came with a 46t front chain ring which made cycling up steep hills near on impossible for me on my old 9 speed cassette. That’s where the 11-46 comes. Hopefully it’s going to make things a bit easier on longer rides when not relying on electric assist so much on the hills. We will see 🚴‍♂️

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
That's not even threaded through your rear derailleur, so yeah you need to get a second 11 speed chain, join with quick links, taking out all the links you don't need. Save the discarded links for when you come to replace the chain, then you can just buy a single chain next time.

Since you are using a 1X setup, make sure you thread through rear derailleur before checking for length else it won't fit. The big / big technique is for 2x or 3x systems where you never expect to be in big / big during use. In your case you will be using that combination when riding.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The reason I went with the 48t cassette was I’d changed my bike to an ebike. The kit only came with a 46t front chain ring which made cycling up steep hills near on impossible for me on my old 9 speed cassette. That’s where the 11-46 comes. Hopefully it’s going to make things a bit easier on longer rides when not relying on electric assist so much on the hills. We will see 🚴‍♂️

That explains it - best get two chains. Don't try and re-join links with anything other than a quick link. Can the front chain ring be changed ?

robgul

Legendary Member
Interesting today at the shop - customer brought in his bike and a chain he'd bought - for me to fit (that's OK with me) - chain had 138 links - yes 138!!!! - normal stock chains are 114 or 116 .... I assume this was for an 11 speed 1x with a dustbin lid sized max cassette sprocket. Customer went home with a length of chain and his bike.

As suggested one complete chain and a bit of another with 2 magic links will do the trick (and keep the cut-down chain for next time and you just need a regular chain and bit of the extra one)

Rob

11-48 is extreme for a road bike. The chain wrap, and tooth difference is quite large, I’d suggest getting another chain, and joining it to yours, using a quick link, until the length is suitable, but that is a hell of a range, and you may need a wolf tooth hanger extended as well.

Top Bottom