Help, please - Garmin Edge 305, software missing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

caz

Don't know if anyone can help, but here goes.

I bought my Edge 305 over a year ago, off a friend who upgraded to the 705. I frequently have problems trying to upload my data to Sports Track because my device is "not recognised". I have solved this problem in the past by downloading and using the Webupdater. Today I tried this and after waiting 20 mins or more for it to do anything I clicked 'abort'. Then on the screen of my 305 I saw a message which said 'software missing'. Now I can't do anything with my 305. Does anyone know how I can resolve this problem (in layman's terms please!!!)?

Thanks for any help in advance

yello

You could try a soft reset ('mode' + 'reset/lap' together for around 5 secs) or, if that doesn't work, a hard reset (power + reset/lap + start/stop together for about 5 seconds). You will loose your data and settings with the hard reset but it may do the trick.

OP
OP
caz

caz

Thanks guys.

Mr P - I've sent Garmin an email, but they don't work weekends so I won't hear anything until Monday or later. May try phoning them.

Yello - I've tried that. The webuploader was 'erasing' and 'uploading' software off and onto my Garmin, but nothing seemed to be happening. I'd been waiting 20mins or more so decided to use the 'abort' option. In the past it's taken a matter of 5 mins to upload it. Presumably it is 'missing software' because I'd interrupted the operation. On the Garmin website it says to contact them if this happens, but I was hoping someone else might have had a similar problem and knew how to resolve it.

The first thing Garmin usually suggest IME is resetting the unit. Plug the USB in and switch it on holding the the reset button down also. Then update the software, as per their instructions. Maybe Sport Tracks needs updated also to solve your original problem, download the latest version. If you still have problems contact Garmin.

OP
OP
caz

caz

Hi HLaB,

I can't even switch the unit on! If I connect it to my PC I immediately get a high pitched buzzing noise and the message 'software missing' before I can even touch any buttons. The same thing happens when I try different combinations of buttons when it's not connected to the PC. Looks like a phone call to Garmin tomorrow morning. Will let you know how I get on.

OP
OP
caz

caz

Hi everyone,

I gave Garmin a phone this morning and they say I need to return the unit to them as it has malfunctioned due to some corrupt software. They will send me a replacement which is guaranteed for 1 year. The cost - £66.66!:biggrin: (This is for the Edge 305, other units have different prices). The choice is to pay up or have a unit which is useless.:smile: Can't afford to upgrade so sending it back to them.

yello

caz said:
They will send me a replacement which is guaranteed for 1 year. The cost - £66.66!:biggrin:

On the plus side, you will get a working unit!

To be fair, I reckon it's a pretty good deal for a unit that's out of warranty. Garmin could just say 'tough'. I got a refurb last year (after my first Edge, out of warranty, stopped finding satellites). The refurbs been fine, touch wood, and it was a darn site cheaper than buying a new one.

Sure, you could argue that it shouldn't have gone wrong in the first place but you'd be in for a protracted discussion on that one! For a reduced outlay, I'm back on the road again within 10 days. I'm happy with that.

rh100

yello said:
On the plus side, you will get a working unit!

To be fair, I reckon it's a pretty good deal for a unit that's out of warranty. Garmin could just say 'tough'. I got a refurb last year (after my first Edge, out of warranty, stopped finding satellites). The refurbs been fine, touch wood, and it was a darn site cheaper than buying a new one.

Sure, you could argue that it shouldn't have gone wrong in the first place but you'd be in for a protracted discussion on that one! For a reduced outlay, I'm back on the road again within 10 days. I'm happy with that.

+1, especially with a one year warranty on the replacement. Looks like the best part of £200 to get one new.

OP
OP
caz

caz

Yes, certainly agree with you both. I bought it off my friend at a really good price, and adding that to the cost of getting a refurb still makes a good deal and an even better one now that I've got a 1 year guarantee too. Definitely can't complain with Garmin's service.

OP
OP
caz

caz

Hi all,

Just to let you know I received a refurbished Edge 305 yesterday, so I'm a happy bunny!
Thanks for all your help.

Top Bottom