Help please with spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnym

I have a similar problem to the other post that has recently been put on here.

Riding into work this morning I have had three spokes on the front and three on the rear wheel come loose. The rear wheel was only trued on Friday. Since I got my bike in February this is the fourth time it's happened.

How often do they come loose, is this normal or am I being unlucky or could there be a problem with the wheels.

I'm 6 foot, 13 stone and the bike is a Cube Peloton Race with Easton EA30 Aero Custom wheels which I was advised were "bullet proof" wheels. I am doing roughly 30 miles per day through the week and one longer ride over the weekend.

Any help is very much appreciated before I go back to the shop again.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's not common. They shouldn't come loose, other than from an impact. Occasional (very occasional) truing may be needed if you are 'obsessive' and like them within a mm or so.

BUT. Many cheaper wheels are mass produced and machine tightened. The more expensive wheels tend to be at least part hand built, usually totally hand built. The issue is in the spoke tension.

As you've only had it since February, I would take them back and ask for replacement wheels. You may have just got a badly assempled pair.

My colleague at work was always having issues with his Madone 5.2 Bonty XXX wheels - expensive ones. It wasn't until he took it in for a re-build and a change of nipples did his spoke problems stop.

OP
OP
J

Johnym

Thanks for the reply. The bike was bought via Halfords from Leisure lake bikes on the C2W scheme. I know Halfords get a bad rap on here, they have been repaired there twice now and once at leisure lake which involved them having to be couriered to them. This is starting to get annoying now so you think they should replace wheels?

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Riding into work this morning I have had three spokes on the front and three on the rear wheel come loose. The rear wheel was only trued on Friday. Since I got my bike in February this is the fourth time it's happened...
Two issues here:
- the wheels weren't fit for purpose in the first place and should be replaced under the Sale Of Goods Act.
- four times in two months:whoever fixed your wheels needs to refund your money and go back to school.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don't want to be a doom monger but here is my recent wheel experience.

• New GT Traffic 1.0 Hybrid in Nov 2010.
  • Rear rim developed cracks around a few spoke holes in Oct 2011, bike 11 months old and covered just over 2000 miles.
  • Wheels replaced under warranty.
  • New rear wheel loses spoke tension in first 50-70 miles with several spokes actually less than finger tight.
  • Wheels returned to shop and fully backed off and retensioned, 'effectively handbuilt wheels' in the words of the shop
  • Snap five spokes in rear wheel over the next few hundred miles which I replace myself until I decide to build my own set.
I expect my newly built bombproof set to last around a decade or more of regular riding!!!

OP
OP
J

Johnym

Two issues here:
- the wheels weren't fit for purpose in the first place and should be replaced under the Sale Of Goods Act.
- four times in two months:whoever fixed your wheels needs to refund your money and go back to school.

I will be taking them back in this afternoon, I'm not holding out much hope of them fixing them correctly again.

OP
OP
J

Johnym

I don't want to be a doom monger but here is my recent wheel experience.

• New GT Traffic 1.0 Hybrid in Nov 2010.
  • Rear rim developed cracks around a few spoke holes in Oct 2011, bike 11 months old and covered just over 2000 miles.
  • Wheels replaced under warranty.
  • New rear wheel loses spoke tension in first 50-70 miles with several spokes actually less than finger tight.
  • Wheels returned to shop and fully backed off and retensioned, 'effectively handbuilt wheels' in the words of the shop
  • Snap five spokes in rear wheel over the next few hundred miles which I replace myself until I decide to build my own set.
I expect my newly built bombproof set to last around a decade or more of regular riding!!!

You know how to cheer a man up :-)

OP
OP
J

Johnym

Just had phone call from halfords. All spokes re tensioned and rims trued. He's assured me they will be fine now, why am I not convinced

OP
OP
J

Johnym

Arghhhh, 6 miles up road on way home and two spokes go on front wheel. Fuming, bike is now in shop and awaiting decision on whether they are going to replace wheels or not.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
These wheels are clearly FUBAR'd and have to be replaced. They must have been terrible to start with and have since been completely screwed by repeated cack handed attempts to 'fix' the problem. Anything less than replacement with wheels of at least an equal spec to the original is not acceptable so don't allow them to mess you about. IMO these wheels should be upgraded due to the complete dogs dinner they have made of sorting the problem in the first place. Six miles is an absolute joke, I would be livid and sorely tempted top launch the entire bike through their shop window!

Nearly there

Veteran
Arghhhh, 6 miles up road on way home and two spokes go on front wheel. Fuming, bike is now in shop and awaiting decision on whether they are going to replace wheels or not.
wow those wheels must be real f#cked Id demand a new set remember your consumer rights take no sh#t

OP
OP
J

Johnym

I'm awaiting there decision tomorrow, took whole bike back to shop and left it there. So frustrating after four attempts to fix the wheels when they are obviously not right.

Rode it straight to shop, with spokes rattling away, shop manager kindly gave me a lift home.

OP
OP
J

Johnym

Cube are replacing wheels under warranty, waiting for them to be sent. Light at the end of the tunnel hopefully

Maylian

Veteran
Was going to say after this many attempts the decision shouldn't be down to the store but you should and would not be without rights to demand replacement rims.

martijn

I have a similar problem to the other post that has recently been put on here.

Riding into work this morning I have had three spokes on the front and three on the rear wheel come loose. The rear wheel was only trued on Friday. Since I got my bike in February this is the fourth time it's happened.

How often do they come loose, is this normal or am I being unlucky or could there be a problem with the wheels.

I'm 6 foot, 13 stone and the bike is a Cube Peloton Race with Easton EA30 Aero Custom wheels which I was advised were "bullet proof" wheels. I am doing roughly 30 miles per day through the week and one longer ride over the weekend.

Any help is very much appreciated before I go back to the shop again.

A late reaction, but I have the same problem. I bought my cube peloton SL in februari, a few weeks ago I went to the pyrenees and after a long way down with high speeds I heard a ticking sound. So I stopped and touched every spoke, and one head of the spoke was in my wheel so there was no tension at all. When I was home I went to the store and they fixed it they said. But after a 50km round I hear the same sound. Since then it comes loose every time I ride. Do you know now if Cube or Easton give any warranty?

Top Bottom