Help please with spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

Johnym

Yes mate, I took bike back to shop and they returned wheels to cube, they replaced them under warranty with a set of DT Swiss 1.0 race wheels, which are usually supplied with the Cube Agree.

I've had no issues with these wheels after roughly a 1000 miles.

Don't accept another set of those wheels as there is a common fault with them and Cube are aware of it.

Hope this helps.

martijn

Yes mate, I took bike back to shop and they returned wheels to cube, they replaced them under warranty with a set of DT Swiss 1.0 race wheels, which are usually supplied with the Cube Agree.

I've had no issues with these wheels after roughly a 1000 miles.

Don't accept another set of those wheels as there is a common fault with them and Cube are aware of it.

Hope this helps.

thank you very much,I'll go back to the store. They told me it was not a common fault.

Do you have an update of the wheel situation ?
My Cube Peleton SL bought from Leisure Lakes (through Halfords cycle2work scheme) was 2 months old and the spoke went whilst riding, then 4 more became loose as i struggled home (20 miles from home). I tightened them a little and got the spoke replaced and the wheel trued at Edinburgh Bikes in Manchester. The next day after collecting the wheel a different spoke went just as i approached work. EB suggested that the wheel was not fit for purpose and i should return it to LL.
Leisure Lakes took the wheel in and admitted that they could not get the wheel "right". They sent it off to Cube for a warranty claim.
Im on a borrowed rear wheel at the moment and its not ideal as its an 8 speed racing block (its keeping me ridiing though he chain will need changing soon i reckon).

Having read the above posts I am at least armed with the knowledge that the issue is a known one and LL and Cube have had to deal with this before.

Its been 2 weeks since he wheel was sent to Cube so i should be finding pretty soon.

I am not on the "light" side at 105kg/5'11 - any suggestions on the wheels i should be asking for as a replacement ?

OP
OP
J

Johnym

Do you have an update of the wheel situation ?
My Cube Peleton SL bought from Leisure Lakes (through Halfords cycle2work scheme) was 2 months old and the spoke went whilst riding, then 4 more became loose as i struggled home (20 miles from home). I tightened them a little and got the spoke replaced and the wheel trued at Edinburgh Bikes in Manchester. The next day after collecting the wheel a different spoke went just as i approached work. EB suggested that the wheel was not fit for purpose and i should return it to LL.
Leisure Lakes took the wheel in and admitted that they could not get the wheel "right". They sent it off to Cube for a warranty claim.
Im on a borrowed rear wheel at the moment and its not ideal as its an 8 speed racing block (its keeping me ridiing though he chain will need changing soon i reckon).

Having read the above posts I am at least armed with the knowledge that the issue is a known one and LL and Cube have had to deal with this before.

Its been 2 weeks since he wheel was sent to Cube so i should be finding pretty soon.

I am not on the "light" side at 105kg/5'11 - any suggestions on the wheels i should be asking for as a replacement ?

You need to push LL to supply you with some from there stock as I did after waiting an age for them to sent from Cube They sent me the DT Swiss R1 which are supplied with the Cube Agree GTC. Ive done over 1500 miles on them with no issues.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It's not common. They shouldn't come loose, other than from an impact. Occasional (very occasional) truing may be needed if you are 'obsessive' and like them within a mm or so.

BUT. Many cheaper wheels are mass produced and machine tightened. The more expensive wheels tend to be at least part hand built, usually totally hand built. The issue is in the spoke tension.

As you've only had it since February, I would take them back and ask for replacement wheels. You may have just got a badly assempled pair.

My colleague at work was always having issues with his Madone 5.2 Bonty XXX wheels - expensive ones. It wasn't until he took it in for a re-build and a change of nipples did his spoke problems stop.
Holy thread resurrection !
Fossy has hit the nail on the head, factory built wheels can be unevenly tightened and can cause spokes to break.Just replacing the spoke will not solve the problem as i found out a while ago and the way i solved it was to loosen all the spokes and take it to the LBS and get it trued from scratch.
Impacts can alter your spoke tension , again as fossy says and its worth checking your wheels after you have one as i found out this morning as i had a spoke go a week after i hit a pot hole and after checkign surrounding spoke tension some of the spokes were loose.
Luckily i had a spare spoke in my spare bin !

Zenroad

Try dipping the spoke threads in boiled linseed oil first, before you insert them into the nipples. It will act as a sort of Loctite when it dries. I build wheels, and this is what I do to all the spokes as I lace them in.

If anyone has already suggested this, sorry. I haven't read all the replies.

Try dipping the spoke threads in boiled linseed oil first, before you insert them into the nipples. It will act as a sort of Loctite when it dries. I build wheels, and this is what I do to all the spokes as I lace them in.

If anyone has already suggested this, sorry. I haven't read all the replies.

I agree - a lot of factory wheels come with spoke threads neatly coated with Loctite 242. They unscrew with a lot of effort and hell of a crack - so it does work.

Herbie

Veteran
Arghhhh, 6 miles up road on way home and two spokes go on front wheel. Fuming, bike is now in shop and awaiting decision on whether they are going to replace wheels or not.

I would be in there demanding a complete refund for the whole bike :cursing:

OP
OP
J

Johnym

I would be in there demanding a complete refund for the whole bike :cursing:

When the bottom bracket failed a few weeks later they did replace the bike. Had a nightmare with it but got a nice new Boardman which I love :-)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Try dipping the spoke threads in boiled linseed oil first, before you insert them into the nipples. It will act as a sort of Loctite when it dries..
Never found it necessary to do this on the approx dozen wheelsets I have built despite dishing out heaps of abuse to them. I actually lube the spoke threads with gear oil or copper grease so they tension up easily without the creaking that dry threads can emit.

Ask any of the forum members I ride with how I treat my bikes/wheels and they will agree if my spokes don't loosen then surely Linseed oil/loctite shouldn't be necessary

Thanks for that. I spoke to them today as its been 2weeks. I'll get back to them.

Well 1 month after taking the wheel in, they tell me that the another EA30 has arrived from CUBE.
I thought i'd be getting two new wheels that were not EA30's !!!

Not been to Leisure Lakes yet to find out what the deal is. I really do not want the same wheel considering all the issues i have read about concerning these.

OP
OP
J

Johnym

Well 1 month after taking the wheel in, they tell me that the another EA30 has arrived from CUBE.
I thought i'd be getting two new wheels that were not EA30's !!!

Not been to Leisure Lakes yet to find out what the deal is. I really do not want the same wheel considering all the issues i have read about concerning these.

Speaking from experience I would not accept those wheels. I'm sure there is many who have not had issues with them but they seem very unreliable.

Stand your ground with LL and demand an alternative. May I ask what you have been using while you have been waiting a month for a replacement?

Top Bottom