Help!!!! Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris42

I need some help/inspiration!
When I stand to pedal, ie sprint or power up hill, I have the most annoying tick/click coming from my bike.
I've changed the wheels, changed my shoes, lubed everything, tightened the cranks, pedals, head set bars stem and still the noise is there.
It seems to be at the bottom of the pedal stroke mainly on the drive side but also sometimes on the other side.
I ride a trek carbon with bontrager carbon cranks that like dura ace have the bearings on the outside.
Any ideas would be great.

Cheers

OP
OP
chris42

chris42

It's your knees. And it's bad.

Yes sorry forgot to mention had my knees checked!
lol
very good!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If the noise only appears when you are out of the saddle I would suspect a loose headset. Assuming you have an A-Headset type, loosen the clamp bolts and give a 1/8 of a turn on the top nut to torque it down a bit more then see if that helps.

With modern integrated headsets they can appear to be correctly adjusted because there is no play when you apply the brake and rock the bike, but I find they need just that little bit more torque than the old type to seat correctly. When you are out of the saddle and pulling on the bars the minute degree of play will show up.

If adjusting doesn't help, try a strip and clean of the bearings.

Oddsos

Über Member
I've found the wheel/frame interface can click or creak. Checking that the skewers are tight and lightly greasing the drop outs can help.

Cab

Ain't something really simple like the bearings in your pedal bracket starting to wear out or in need of oiling is it?

OP
OP
chris42

chris42

Cab said:
Ain't something really simple like the bearings in your pedal bracket starting to wear out or in need of oiling is it?

Don't think so, new dura ace pedals with only around 1200 miles on them since april?
I'll pull them apart tonight.

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
Brake cable tapping the top tube?
Is'nt it infuriating. If just spent the best part of a week doing the same things - turned the bottom bracket needed greasing.
Good luck.

Bottom bracket would have been my guess too - stripped one of my tourers in spring for exactly the same reason and removing, lubing (copper grease) and refitting the BB cured it.

And yes, I'd changed the pedals too before that! :blush:

Really, you just have to keep trying stuff, starting with the most likely (as people have suggested) until you get there.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I will repeat my earlier advice, if it happens only when you are out of the saddle suspect the headset. If that is ok then bars, stem or levers as whatever is creaking is doing so when you are pulling on the front end.

Any noise from the bb or cleats and pedals or the back end of the bike will be constant whether you are standing or sitting.

Top Bottom