Help please !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mac2241992

Long shot but worth a try , my names Liam McClelland age 24 the furthest I have ever road a bike was to the shop for sweets as a teen and yet I'm now agreeing to do John o grotes to lands end this year for charity I don't even own a bike right now ! I feel very strongly about pushing myself to raise money for a very worthy cause that being ASUK (autism support UK) they help families learn about the method of ABA(applied behavioural analysis) and help children with autism learn to deal and excel in every day life by having a individual analysis alongside individual targets and teaching methods so that each child is taught at their own pace.I was wondering if anybody could help me out not with money but with any items I'm going to need for this journey to push myself and struggle through each day just like the children do on a daily basis.Or just point me in the direction of wise words about what I'm actually agreeing to do.Even if it's just a water bottle or a top to wear when cycling it would all really help as funds are tight now a days and if I'm spending a lot of money on kit and supplies it kind of defeats the object as I could have just donated that ! I look forward to gaining a response and thanks for your time . PS this will be done the second half of the year as I'm also running a marathon for the cause in April so currently training for that .Any cheap kit that would be usefull please do let me know

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Good luck with your training. Wiggle are doing a water bottle at £1.99 that's nice and cheap http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wiggle-water-bottle-800ml-1/

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
OK - welcome and some thoughts:

1. You'll need a bike :okay: . If it's LEJOG (Land's End-John'o'Groats) most would recommend a touring or road bike. What's your budget as that'll dictate advice. You don't need an 'expensive' bike - I rode Paris-Brest-Paris in 2015 on a home-built Ridgeback Platinum which cost about £500 to build.
2. Have a look here: https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/lands-end-to-john-ogroats-lejog.9/ as others are planning to / have ridden it
3. Set out a plan to reach the distance. There's far less chance of you doing the ride if you've not prepared.
4. You don't state whether it's a solo event or with others. Also whether it's an organised event where you don't need to carry your luggage / camp - that'll affect your speed. If it's with others I'd suggest training with them.
5. Get some padded shorts before the jersey, or preferably at the same time. You'll need 2 pairs minimum, 2 base layers, 2 jerseys, etc. Cycling gloves help as they have padded wrist sections which help over longer distances.
6. Learn basic bike maintenance skills; changing inner tubes, mending cables / brakes / chain. There'll be a local class probably or buy The Bicycle Book.
7. Get riding.
8. Once you're riding I'd suggest changing to clipless pedals. They're easier on the knees and more efficient.
9. Enjoy ...

There may also be local groups near you as well who can help.

Note I don't think I'm doing LEJOG this year but my 12yo wants to. I'm riding London-Edinburgh-London instead in July.

Last edited:

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Oooooh! That's a challenge starting from scratch.
Bike plus lots of miles between now and then. Added complication with the marathon in April. I would suggest concentrating on that but spending some time on indoor spin bikes or a turbo trainer if you could find someone with these to lend (and a bike!)
It wouldn't hurt to sort out your bike between now and April so you're ready to go straight after you've recovered from the marathon. Then slow miles to get your body used to the effort, increasing distance and possibly speed as you progress. Everything else is just a matter of logistics, the most important thing is to get the miles under your belt.
In my experience, doing something like that reasonably comfortably would require 2/3 years of cycling experience leading up to it. Not saying it can't be done, it most definitely can, but not without a few tears and tantrums enroute!
Good luck.

RudeNot2

Über Member
Freegle / Freecycle, Gumtree and e-bay would all be good for a start. Picked up a Ribble Prime on Gumtree last year for a shade over £200 to use as a winter bike and love it.

Once sorted with a bike, probably be an idea to get involved with a local club to aid with focus / training and general camaraderie. Through the contacts / friends you make there, your cycling knowledge will grow and grow.

Keep an eye on the classifieds / freebies here.

Will be doing LEJOG in September myself :-)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You can do it on any bike but I'd steer clear of mountain bikes as they'll be more of an effort. Any road bike is suitable but try to get one with plenty of gears for those hills. Avoid suspension too as you don't need it.

I'd endorse the above comments and add preloved to the list. Try to aim for something that hasn't had much use. There are plenty out there which get bought for good intentions and hardly get ridden. You don't want to be spending out on repairs before you've even started.

If you'd have been nearer I'd have given you one. Maybe a kind soul on here will offer.

Good luck.

MarkF

Guru
What size are you?

Unbelievable, kids today!

He wants stuff for free, I have stuff, I ask the size and no reply. Maybe he wants me to imagine his size and stream the stuff directly to him. Some other newbie did this with panniers I was going to give away, best I can do you for you now pal is a pair of used undercrackers, grrrr.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Unbelievable, kids today!

He wants stuff for free, I have stuff, I ask the size and no reply.

The op's not been back yet that's why.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Genuine or not, I'd love to see a 'Please' or 'Thank You' somewhere in the thread..

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think we need to cut the kid a bit of slack. At least he's out there doing something about a charity he obviously cares about. I notice nobody has offered him anything yet.

MarkF

Guru
Maybe people cant afford to, its not everyone that has loads of surplus kit knocking about. I think people have been helpfull and pointed him in the right direction.

I had stuff, others will have had stuff, but if you ask, what size are you? And don't get a reply, then what can you do? If he feels so strongly about "pushing himself", then checking replies (in over 5 days) to his own begging post might be a start.

Last edited:
Top Bottom