Help removing rear cassette (see pics)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roooseter

I need help removing this rear casette, tired seems stuck, i have cassette sprocket and chain wip
IMG_20240320_115021.jpg

IMG_20240320_115738.jpg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
1710936239353.png

You have the wrong tool, you need a FR 1.3 remover as that is a freewheel not a cassette

if its really jammed on - I.e big spanner wont shift it. put the end of tool in a vice and turn the wheel in the correct direction.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: to the site:

I may be wrong but that looks like a screw-on freewheel to me. It takes a different tool to a cassette and the whole thing unscrews rather than just undoing a lock ring. If this is the case it will need a lot of leverage - a breaker bar if you have one or I have had success in the past with extending automotive wheel nut wrenches.

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:

As @T4tomo said, you show a cassette lockring/freehub tool and you need one for a freewheel.
These are often a b****** to shift (from the image this will be its first (and ?last) time. You need to ensure the tool doesn't slip out and will (as Phil says) very likely need a steel extension to however your applying unscrewing (normal direction) torque, or maybe @T4tomo 's vice technique (care with direction but often you can't generate enough torque).
Consider whether removal is necessary.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You can remove it without the tool but you'll completely destroy the freewheel. Fine if it's completely buggered. As said if you don't have to leave it.

Top Bottom