*help* Rival frame built in Norwich

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukAs98

I recently acquired this old rival frame. It's really different and I'd like to restore it to original however I can find literally no info about it.

Can anyone tell me any information about the company?

Does anyone know what colour it was supposed to be?

Does anyone have photos of a rival which isn't rod like mine?(only found 2 photos and they were both rod braked rivals)

Where these bikes high end?

Literally any info you can give me would be highly appreciated, thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 143

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
new one on me

OP
OP
lukAs98

lukAs98

It was to me too. I literally can't find any info about it, it's a bit of a pain. It's nice to have a rare bike but when you can't find anything on it it can be annoying haha @biggs682

OP
OP
lukAs98

lukAs98

No, I believe that would be called an impossible challenge haha. I've got another bike I'm using at this years l'eroica. But yes, hopefully will see you then:-) @stevevw

classic33

Leg End Member
From http://oldroads.com/arch/ENG2007_9_237_25_44_AM.html
Hi Mark (we now need Luke & John),
I have a Rival, built in an old shoe factory, the Johnson & Theobald building ,in Heigham street (H'am Street), Norwich by a firm of motor factors . They were basically Phillips components put together in Norwich. They were built from post WW1 to the 1950's and there are a few about in collectors hands. Mine is a 1939 ladies, rod brakes, mixte frame and pleasant round profile mudguards, bought for a fiver at a local sale.

I have post war sales brochure. They are lovely to own, mine started the whole collection off.

The name? a RIVAL to the Raleigh company in the rival city of Nottingham!

Sorry to reopen this elderly thread, but I have just bought a loop frame Rival ladies cycle. The frame number is 18378. Is it possible to date the manufacture.

It is in pieces and slowly being returned to running condition. If interested, I will post pictures once it is a bit more complete.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don't think you'll have much hands luck with frame numbering but may be able to date it by the components on there. If its got a SA hub that will carry a date.

By the way welcome to the forum.

Thank you very much for the responses and the interesting photograph.

Unfortunately the cycle is single speed.

Would any of the earlier contributors care to share frame numbers.

classic33

Leg End Member
It seems they were stopped by the outbreak of WWII, in 1939. after just three years(37, 38 & 39) where they produced the bikes.

Top Bottom