Help selecting a bike! Newbie!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Don't buy either. At that price, go second hand.

Road bikes in the sub £300 price range (as bought, not before the 50% discount) are generally over-weight with poor quality components and will not last. At £300 the Triban 3 from Decathlon is worth buying, but are so popular now that you will have to wait.

I'd echo BrumJim's advice. I work on many bikes and cheap ones are horrid with components made from cheese, and are usually worn out in no time if used. There are three things which ought to be of concern when you purchase a bike: light weight, low cost, and decent longevity - you can only have two out of three, but you get to choose which ones!

There are some good secondhand bikes out there at good prices, but do take someone who knows about bikes with you. A bargain can become expensive if you have to replace a chain, a cassette, and a couple of worn-out rims.

Paul J

I picked up a secondhand Raleigh Scorpio replaced the crank, cassette, and chain and still less then £150. Done 800+ miles on it so far so to my mind a bargain.

Watchout for the bike snobs on here lol

D

Deleted member 20519

Go second hand, you'll be wasting your time with the cheap ones.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think 60cm will be big enough for someone 6'3, everything suggests the Tribans come up small - but if local, have a sit

Cyclist33

Just to throw a suggestion in, some good fast hybrids around the 300 mark, decent enough spec, eg jamis allegro, giant escape...

Top Bottom