Help setting up my first cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Porknz

I finished my first century ride last weekend and am now trying to set up my first indoor trainer and transitioning to riding indoor for the first time. Any good resources on how to get the cassette up and running on my trainer? Brand new to trainers and trying to figure out how to set the whole thing up. Thanks.

Broadside

Guru
What sort of indoor trainer have you got?

Presumably it’s a rear wheel off trainer so you will need to take the cassette of your bike wheel and put it on the trainer. It’s a quick job but you will need a cassette lock ring tool plus a chain whip to remove the cassette from your rear wheel. The other (better) option is to buy another cassette that you leave on the trainer and then you can swap the bike from road use to trainer use in seconds each time.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes buy a new cassette and find a video on YouTube of how to set up your model of trainer

OP
OP
P

Porknz

Sorry. Should have given more details.

It's a refurbished Wahoo Kickr Core from Wahoo.

I did buy a separate cassette from Wahoo.

I'm not sure I got all of the paperwork with the refurbished model, so I'm going off of what I got. I understand there is something to line up when getting the cassette installed.

Does it matter how many gears are on my bike normally vs how many are on the new cassette? I think the new cassette might have more.

(Figuring how to get my bike taken apart enough will be the next step. :smile: )

Broadside

Guru
You need to match with the same speed cassette, count how many sprockets are on the bike wheel and make sure the new cassette has the same number of sprockets.

when fitting the cassette to the Kickr you just line up the splines, they are engineered so they only fit on the right way.

Xipe Totec

Frrrg rrrrf yrrrr crrrnds
Depending on your freehub, it may not necessarily line up & change properly without readjusting the rear mech set screws, even if you are using the correct cassette for your shifters. I recently got an Elite Direto which I'm using with a 10-speed Tiagra bike - the bike's own freehub is 11-speed with two spacers for use with smaller cassettes, but the (alleged) 11sp hub on the trainer is different, and requires a different spacer combination and a tweak of the set screws to make it line up with my 10sp cassette.

Fortunately for me, this bike's only used on the turbo, because it would be a proper pain in the ar$e to have to readjust the gears any time I wanted to use the bike outdoors.

Top Bottom