Help setting up my first trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Porknz

Trying to set up my first trainer, and it sounds like I messed up already. I bought a kickr core and it doesn't come with a cassette, so I purchased the one they offer with it on their site. Apparently that one doesn't work with my bike. It's an 11 speed now that I have it, and I think my bike is a 9x2. It's a salsa journeyman sora.

Can anyone verify this is not compatible, and if so, can anyone suggest a 9 speed cassette for my bike?

Thanks guys.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Trying to set up my first trainer, and it sounds like I messed up already. I bought a kickr core and it doesn't come with a cassette, so I purchased the one they offer with it on their site. Apparently that one doesn't work with my bike. It's an 11 speed now that I have it, and I think my bike is a 9x2. It's a salsa journeyman sora.

Can anyone verify this is not compatible, and if so, can anyone suggest a 9 speed cassette for my bike?

Thanks guys.
Not got a kickr core but recently purchased a JetBlack Volt which came with an included cassette (11 speed I think ) The bike had a 9 speed cassette and I naively thought it would work. I ended up getting a chespo 9 speed cassette from Decathlon and fitted that to the turbo though I did need to use a spacer washer which came with the turbo trainer. There’s a tutorial video demonstrating this on the JetBlack website, I know that it’s not the trainer that you have but the principle is the same.

si_c

Guru
The 11 speed cassette is not compatible sadly however a 9 speed cassette will fit the trainer, but you'll need to put a spacer on first - you should have got one with your Kickr, but they're inexpensive if not. Luckily the price of an 11 speed cassette is far in excess of even a full price 9 speed, so you'll be able to recoup the cost of the one you bought online - I'd suggest advertising here on the classifieds section first as you'll avoid any fees from ebay etc.

An interim solution would be to pull the cassette off the wheel and put it on the trainer, that will work fine assuming you have the cassette.

OP
OP
P

Porknz

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. Last site I was on, I just got ridiculed for my question without getting an answer.

Top Bottom