Help! severe shoulder tension.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Hello all

I didn't notice this when I rode last year but maybe it was building up - I have severe tension in my shoulders and I think it is either due to or exacerbated by riding my bike. I don't do long rides but I do now feel uncomfortable when riding, and I've never been that happy with the way you have to lift your head and crick your neck to ride a normal bike. I even bought a semi-recumbent a few years ago but found it too heavy and unwieldy.

I recently adjusted the (straight) handlebars on my hybrid to be a little nearer and a little higher so that I could sit up more, and I am trying to do the thing of not taking my weight on the bones of my arms - trying to keep them slightly bent and active.

Are there any tips out there? - I'm sure my saddle's high enough btw.

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Are we allowed to bump our own threads?

screenman

Legendary Member
Have you tried going lower with the bars?

It is a good idea to introduce some stretches to go with your daily routine.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Thanks guys, I have had good massage (quite ouchy!) I will try lowering the bars but I thought maybe having them lower would increase the problem...? Raising them doesn't seem to have helped so I will try it!

I have some stretches but tbh I don't do them to warm up before the commute. I am rubbish at routine :blush:

Top Bottom