HELP! the melody sounds familiar... but i can't put my finger on it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Lily the pink ?

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 3344503, member: 45"]It's the tune from an old hymn. Which may mean that it originated from a secular tune yonks ago. Can't pinpoint the hymn though.[/QUOTE]
my thoughts exactly... it sounds so obvious but WTF is it???

Fnaar

Smutmaster General

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I
[QUOTE 3344503, member: 45"]It's the tune from an old hymn. Which may mean that it originated from a secular tune yonks ago. Can't pinpoint the hymn though.[/QUOTE]
I think this is right. It sounds too much like a US revivalist hymn for it too be a coincidence, and the use of Christian material is (tiresomely) common among anti-religionists wanting to make a point. I suspect it's in Moody and Sankey, but I don't have a copy.

The third line is the same as the third line of 'Infant Holy', which is Czech, but it's a simple sequence, so that's probably coincidence.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I think this is right. It sounds too much like a US revivalist hymn for it too be a coincidence, and the use of Christian material is (tiresomely) common among anti-religionists wanting to make a point. I suspect it's in Moody and Sankey, but I don't have a copy.

The third line is the same as the third line of 'Infant Holy', which is Czech, but it's a simple sequence, so that's probably coincidence.

yup... I guess the melodies of Oh My Darling and You Are My sunshine were inspired by something... but exactly what has probably been lost in the mists of time. I suspect Song of the Death Machine deliberately skirts around these melodies rather than copies them.... maybe.

Top Bottom