Help! This can't be right...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MajorMantra

I was just fiddling with the Ribble and was alarmed to notice this:

ribblecableguide2of2.jpg

ribblecableguide1of2.jpg

Now, I'm fairly sure that the cable should be going through the guide, not under or next to it. Rerouting ought to be simple matter of cutting the cable end off, releasing it from the front mech, and re-inserting it. However, from looking at the guide it appears that it doesn't line up well with the hole in the frame. Is this going to work?

Matthew

Deffo should be in the guide that. I think if you move it, it will work. The guide flares at the end, so should allow the cable to veer left. If you undo the screw holding the guide, will it slide left slightly?

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

Well, I've re-routed it and it all seems to work, so panic over. All the same, that's pretty shoddy for a mainstream shop. I feel a stern email coming on.

Will, the guide comes pretty close to the hole so I think it'll be alright. I've done a little under 500 miles with it installed incorrectly and there doesn't seem to be any damage from it fortunately. It has to have been Ribble's fault by the way as no one else has touched the front mech until now.

Matthew

Plax

Guru
Pretty shoddy I agree. Halfrauds did exactly the same to my front mech. I just undid the cable and popped it back through, as I had to re-adjust the piss poor job they did of setting up the gears anyway.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I expect that whoever built the bike failed to check that he had passed the cable through the little bridge correctly. The cable guide is a slippery plastic so I don't expect it made any difference to the shifting.

Top Bottom