Help! Top race wont grip steerer but is correct size!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macson

Hi all, don't want to start a long discussion as headset problems have been more than covered, however I finally gave up with google and am hoping someone here can help. In short I have purchased a second hand specialized allez e5 sport - all good but headset has play. Did all correct tightening etc. Bearings are correct but the top race/compression ring wont tighten around steerer (not even close) It's really loose going on which seems odd (see pic) but is the correct size (30mm inside diameter) The steerer is untapered (original one that was purchased new) and is still correct diameter of 28.6mm. As there are no smaller top races than the 30mm which appears to be the correct size what am I missing here???? At present I have a rubber o ring wedged between the top race and the steerer - not ideal but is better than without. Then only way I can get the top cup to not have play in it (without the o ring) is so tight it's silly. Help, am at a loss.

OP
OP
M

macson

Edit: Does the compression ring appear correct? I'm learning as I go here but didn't want to start buying blind a load of rings in the hope one acted differently to the one I have.

OP
OP
M

macson

No one??

Mod Note: moved to the mechanics section for better response.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

macson

Should they slide down the tube reasonably 'connected' ? Mine slides down with ease - only I can't find one less than 30mm ID, hence my confusion.

OP
OP
M

macson

No, bought bike 3 weeks ago online secondhand.

OP
OP
M

macson

Sorted - top race replaced and all good - read that they are often wildly different in size even though they claim to be the same (30mm ID) which proved to be the case !!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom