Help with bike sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
K

kingspirit

I’m 177, but I know i need a 54cm TT so looking at the dimensions I’d need a S, with a narrower bar.
assuming you’re a man, you may have a longer reach than I do.
I know 56cm TT feel too long for me. My current 4 drop bars are all a 54
Thank you for the replies !

OP
OP
K

kingspirit

Thank you everyone! I think ill stick to the M size, anyway if not right i can send it back to the shop for a refund or exchange to the other size

JonT005

Regular
Hi All,
I'm looking to get my first droped handlebar gravel bike but really struggling to choose the right size of the bike.
I think I should be a on Medium sized bike, but some manufacturers Medium size has a top tube length of 54.4 cm and some 55 and even 56 this where I get confused which one will be the right one.
I'm 176cm (5.9) tall with a 86cm(34) inseam.
What is your suggestions regarding sizing would be for my height and inseam?
Cheers!
I would say 54 would be best if it's your first drop handlebar bike. I wouldn't go larger than a 56. It's really how flexible and aerodynamic you want to be. For example, many pros use a size smaller than what would be recommended for greater aerodynamic benefits!

icowden

Veteran
I think I should be a on Medium sized bike, but some manufacturers Medium size has a top tube length of 54.4 cm and some 55 and even 56 this where I get confused which one will be the right one.

I'd decide on a shortlist of brands, then go round the cycle shops that stock them to try them out. Even then you may need to customise.
I ended up with a Trek Domane SL5 (52) as I have short legs. I tried several different bikes which were too big first though. In the end my local bike shop did a bike fit, and recommended some bikes. Then I got carried away with 0% finance ^_^. Next job is replacing the handlebars as they assume that men with short legs also have narrow shoulders. T'aint so!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
ignore seat tube measurements, the OP needs to work out what length virtual top tube is about right and find that in the relevant bike they are looking at. one brand's M or 54 might be another's S or 52 but with same virtual top tube. You can fine tune with stem length.

OP
OP
K

kingspirit

I would say 54 would be best if it's your first drop handlebar bike. I wouldn't go larger than a 56. It's really how flexible and aerodynamic you want to be. For example, many pros use a size smaller than what would be recommended for greater aerodynamic benefits!
I'm quite flexible, but I prefer more upright, relaxed position

weareHKR

I'm 5ft 9'' & always had medium frames, but I tried a 29er on a 21" frame & it's the best ride ever!
I'll stick to 20"/21'' now!

Lovacott

Über Member
Hi All,
I'm looking to get my first droped handlebar gravel bike but really struggling to choose the right size of the bike.
You are a medium without a doubt.

Top Bottom