Help with Carlton restoration project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barks

Regular
I have a Carlton Criterium that I would love to get back on the road again. However, I am rubbish with tools and don't really have the spare time to do the work required myself.
I would appreciate any suggestions as to where I might go in the Midlands (or more specifically near Derby) to get the work done.

:welcome: to CC

Some LBS's, (Local Bike Shops), offer maintenance courses, although not knowing the Midlands area I can't tell you of any in your neck of the woods, but the point being perhaps if you found one they could let you work on on aspects of your own bike whilst using their tools.

Nothing you need to do is difficult, so with access some basic tools you could get it fettled yourself in no time.

raindog

er.....
I would appreciate any suggestions as to where I might go in the Midlands (or more specifically near Derby) to get the work done.
If you mean work on the frame, you have Mercian right on your doorstep in Derby. If you mean building the bike up, don't you have a riding pal who could help? Bike mechanics is dead easy.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Show us some pictures of the bike, might be easier to assess what needs to be done and the level of difficulty, overall though its worth having a go yourself. Plenty of expertise on the forum.

OP
OP
Barks

Barks

Regular
Thanks everyone. I am encouraged by your comments and have begun the cleaning process!
I will get the bike into my local bike shop service guys to see if they can help too.

OP
OP
Barks

Barks

Regular
Making some progress with this project now.
I will need a saddle for it as the original one has long gone. Does anyone know what sort it would have been?

Spokesmann

ANy chance of those pictures?

If it was a late 60s or mid 70s machine it would have been a Brooks, something like a B5N, if later then it would have been some kind of suade effect saddle.

sidevalve

Über Member
Would it not have been a B17 Brooks ? Just remember bikes of that era [and earlier] were MEANT to be owner fixable and most bits only require that you sit down with a coffee and look at them to see what they do. After that just take your time, you aint building a saturn five moon rocket and there's loads of info on the net.

Spokesmann

Would it not have been a B17 Brooks ? Just remember bikes of that era [and earlier] were MEANT to be owner fixable and most bits only require that you sit down with a coffee and look at them to see what they do. After that just take your time, you aint building a saturn five moon rocket and there's loads of info on the net.
Possibly.

Top Bottom