help with chainring!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keggas

hi my bro just got a secondhand roadbike and the lowest gear is sooo hard to pedal its imposible to comfortably make it up a slope. we were wondering if there is anyway we could take the chainring off of a mountain bike and put it on the road bike??
any other suggestions??
please help!!!
:biggrin:

What size are the chainrings (how many teeth)?
What size is the largest sprocket on the back wheel (how many teeth)?
How many chainrings on the front? 2 probably.
How many sprockets on the back wheel? 5/6/7/8/9 or 10?
What make is the componentry is on the bike? Campagnolo, Shi**no?
What groupset is on the bike? Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace?
Or is it a mix n match of componetry?
What make is the frame?

Arch

Married to Night Train
keggas said:
we were wondering if there is anyway we could take the chainring off of a mountain bike and put it on the road bike??

In my experience, the answer to almost any question like this is "yes"

Depending on circumstances, it may be easy and straighforward, or you may need the help of a determined bodger expert like Mickle...:biggrin:

No, seriously, most things can be done, its just a question of matching the components, for which you may need a little research, or alternatively, find a good local bike shop and ask them for advice.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
You could buy a mountain bike triple from Halfords for £19.99. It is a square taper 42-32-22 or 48-38-28 and will have to probably change the front mech. I guess the inner ring will be a 39 or 42 which you could replace with a 34. You may have to take a link out of the chain to take up the slack.
I have a 42 on my racer and I can get up just about anything. You just have to ride a little smarter.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
keggas said:
hi my bro just got a secondhand roadbike and the lowest gear is sooo hard to pedal its imposible to comfortably make it up a slope. we were wondering if there is anyway we could take the chainring off of a mountain bike and put it on the road bike??
any other suggestions??
please help!!!
:ohmy:

The first question is, what are the gear ratios on the road bike? Unless you are really really unfit you should be able to get up most hills on road bike gearing.. Do you have a single/double or a triple chainring? How many sprockets at the rear do you have? Are they working correctly?

peanut

the first thing to say here is surely to welcome a new member with their very first post ,to the forum?!

I think its very unlikely they will return given the reception they received . Think about how your reply is likely to be received .It could be a young person or a female it is almost certainly someone new to cycling.

Its this sort of smartass arrogant attitude that puts people off returning to cycling clubs and cycle shops.
If we are going to take the time to respond to a plea for help lets be helpful eh chaps

bigjim

Legendary Member
I'm not a newbie and I would also like to know the answer to the question. I currently ride a triple with an inner ring of 30 but I struggle on really steep hills when bike is fully loaded with panniers front and back plus tent etc and would like to change the inner to a 24. My older raleigh has an inner front of 42. The original poster could be on one of these.

Jim

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
bigjim, the easiest option might be to change the rear cassette to lower ratios. if you have a triple, you should have a long rear deraillieur that will accept a 27 or even 30 toothed sprocket without a problem.

a bike shop (not halfords/evans) will be able to sort that out for you. if the terminology is off putting, just ask them to change the gears at the back for something to make hills easier. they'll know what to do.

Arch

Married to Night Train
peanuts said:
the first thing to say here is surely to welcome a new member with their very first post ,to the forum?!

I think its very unlikely they will return given the reception they received . Think about how your reply is likely to be received .It could be a young person or a female it is almost certainly someone new to cycling.

Its this sort of smartass arrogant attitude that puts people off returning to cycling clubs and cycle shops.
If we are going to take the time to respond to a plea for help lets be helpful eh chaps

I don't think anyone has been all that unfriendly or arrogant? We weren't given much to go on in the question, after all, so it's hard to know the 'right' answer...

And I resent your "It could be a young person or a female" remark. How are women different, pray? Are we too dim, and need special treatment? Are you still living in the Victorian Era?

Your reply comes across to me as the most confrontational yet, as a matter of fact.

Anyway, welcome keggas, and if you can give us a little more detail about what sort of bike and how many teeth the gears have and so on, someone might be able to give you a definite yes or no...

yello

Welcome keggas, I hope you stay around and find the forum useful.

As others have said, it is indeed possible to do what you suggest. The realities and success of doing it are dependant on a number of factors (those things mickle mentioned) but quite honestly the only way to find out is to try it!

The superb thing about tinkering with bikes is that they are quite simple really and you can never really bugger something up beyond recovery. So my advice would be to give it a go.... if it doesn't work, put it all back again. After all, it's how most of us learn!

(Oh, and read some of the posts below, shown under 'Similar Threads' - they'll give you some ideas)

Top Bottom