Help with clothing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

porridge

Ok, newbie here, 47 years old, a bit overweight and lacking in confidence about wearing cycling gear and my body. I tend to sweat a lot as it's summer and im overweight.

I am having real problems finding the right gear to wear !, I don't feel comfortable wearing lycra at the m, I just feel too old and fat, I also need to find some gear to wear when its raining !, got drenched last night!

At the moment I'm dressed like worzel gummidge, oh I also feel a prat wearing shorts, I am ok in the morning because there are few people about when I get in, but I dread the afternoon walk from the office to the bike ;)

Finally, how on earth do you guys cope with the winter weather?, cold and raining.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Hello

Welcome to the site. Don't worry at all about lycra - there's nothing very attractive about it, in my opinion anyway. Even the TdF boys look a bit dodgy in it! The only bit of lycra I would recommend are padded shorts. They'll change your world...but you can wear normal baggies over the top so you look like a normal person!!

If you don't like shorts, how about jogging bottoms or combat trousers? You'll need to tuck in the bottoms, but that would be fine. My husband's quite solid and refuses to wear normal cycling gear too. He wears stuff from walking shops or running shops, so clothes that 'wick' but don't look so cycle-y. Add a fleece and you're done.

It IS worth spending money on a cycling waterproof - they come up to xxl at least so I'd go and brave a shop and see what you end up with. You can also get cycling trousers but I've not yet found any that are really that waterproof.

Don't worry about winter yet ;) Summer's not been great, so if you can survive summer, you'll be fine. You'll just wear more.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get some MTB specific stuff - i.e. baggy - baggy shorts/top/waterproofs

For Winter on the bottom you could get some Altura trousers.

Have a good search through the forum and you'll find lots of help.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
If you don't want to wear lycra or shorts then don't. Have a base layer and some gloves and wear whatever else you want. Macs are fairly thin. Some people like wearing outdoorsy coats like you get for walking and they look normal but I think I'd overheat in one.

OP
OP
P

porridge

Cathryn said:
Hello

Welcome to the site. Don't worry at all about lycra - there's nothing very attractive about it, in my opinion anyway. Even the TdF boys look a bit dodgy in it! The only bit of lycra I would recommend are padded shorts. They'll change your world...but you can wear normal baggies over the top so you look like a normal person!!

If you don't like shorts, how about jogging bottoms or combat trousers? You'll need to tuck in the bottoms, but that would be fine. My husband's quite solid and refuses to wear normal cycling gear too. He wears stuff from walking shops or running shops, so clothes that 'wick' but don't look so cycle-y. Add a fleece and you're done.

It IS worth spending money on a cycling waterproof - they come up to xxl at least so I'd go and brave a shop and see what you end up with. You can also get cycling trousers but I've not yet found any that are really that waterproof.

Don't worry about winter yet ;) Summer's not been great, so if you can survive summer, you'll be fine. You'll just wear more.

Hi thanks for all the help, "cycling waterproof" what is it?, all in one?, jacket?

Have a surf around this site for suitable clothing:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/?PartnerID=859&gclid=COKLmYPusJQCFQVBMAodcyYmuA

There's a lot of big and older fellas here (I'm 48 and 98 kg - was 117 once), so get comfortable with your bike and choice of clothes, find a suitable and realistic diet (just sensible eating, really), cut back on the booze and fags (if you drink/smoke) and keep at it.

Above all it should be fun, cos you won't stick at it if you're not enjoying it. Your health and stamina will improve, your weight will fall, and you will feel a lot better in, and with, yourself.

Good luck! And there's plenty of help/support/advice and understanding here. ;)

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I like the idea of an all-in-one waterproof...but (luckily) no..it basically means it's cut right for cycling - air vents, longer back etc. Try your bike shop.

yoyo

I'm 48 with the odd bulge here and there so I know what you mean about lycra etc. My husband absolutely refuses to wear cycling gear and simply tucks his old chords into his hand knitted socks and wears a waterproof coat if it rains. I wear cycling gear sometimes and use baggy shirts to cover shorts. I do not have a cycling waterproof but find a trespass three in one perfectly adequate for all conditions. I have regatta waterproof trousers which are exactly what they say they are. Yesterday, I tried a cycling cape in the rain. Its behaviour was very 'interesting' when trucks overtook; it became a sail that delivered a face full of water!

snorri

Legendary Member
Cycle specific clothing is to a great extent a marketing ploy and much of it is quite unnecessary for many utility cyclists.
A good waterproof jacket for cycling is expensive:sad:, but cheapo versions will just cause you to sweat more and the jacket will be as wet inside as outside.
Don't try to break any speed records in the early months, your general fitness will gradually improve and eventually one day you will suddenly realise you are overtaking everyone.:laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cathryn said:
I like the idea of an all-in-one waterproof...but (luckily) no..it basically means it's cut right for cycling - air vents, longer back etc. Try your bike shop.

Nope you'll be a bit like boil in a bag what ever time of the year, full kit or not......... it's OK in winter going full waterproof and dropping the pace, but in summer - i.e plus 10c then it's deffo boil in the bag all the times......no getting past it..... empty out the water after the ride.... orrible......

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Hi Porridge. I've got a few years on you and I know what you mean about lycra/shorts etc. Thing is, when you've been cycling a few months, you'll suddenly realise that you've lost that weight and that you might look reasonable in cycling gear after all. Believe me that a couple of years ago, nothing but nothing would persuade me to venture out in anything but everyday trousers and shirts, but having seen a few of the old local roadies in full dress, and having lost three stones in weight, I thought b****r it, I'm getting the gear. So I now proudly wear bib shorts and cycling shirts and the world can go to hell.:laugh:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Hi Porridge

I'm nearly 40 & overweight, but dont give a shite about what i look like when out on the bike. I wouldn't dream of wearing full replica racing kit, but i've found lycra is the most comfortable to cycle in, even if i do look like a sketch out of little britain :laugh:

OP
OP
P

porridge

Gerry Attrick said:
Hi Porridge. I've got a few years on you and I know what you mean about lycra/shorts etc. Thing is, when you've been cycling a few months, you'll suddenly realise that you've lost that weight and that you might look reasonable in cycling gear after all. Believe me that a couple of years ago, nothing but nothing would persuade me to venture out in anything but everyday trousers and shirts, but having seen a few of the old local roadies in full dress, and having lost three stones in weight, I thought b****r it, I'm getting the gear. So I now proudly wear bib shorts and cycling shirts and the world can go to hell.:biggrin:

Thanks for your encouragement, I am sure I wont feel so bad about it in a month or two, the problem is I lack confidence, but in a month or two people will just accept that Im cycling and they won't give a second thought about me wearing the appropriate gear. I also agree that some of the weight will be lost fairly quickly, so it might look less cringe worthy.

In view of the lashing rain today, I cycled in with a pair of shorts, a T Shirt and a waterproof jacket, so some progress.

OP
OP
P

porridge

Soltydog said:
Hi Porridge

I'm nearly 40 & overweight, but dont give a shite about what i look like when out on the bike. I wouldn't dream of wearing full replica racing kit, but i've found lycra is the most comfortable to cycle in, even if i do look like a sketch out of little britain :biggrin:
:biggrin:

Again, Thanks

Top Bottom