Help with clothing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
porridge said:
Thanks for your encouragement, I am sure I wont feel so bad about it in a month or two, the problem is I lack confidence, but in a month or two people will just accept that Im cycling and they won't give a second thought about me wearing the appropriate gear. I also agree that some of the weight will be lost fairly quickly, so it might look less cringe worthy.

In view of the lashing rain today, I cycled in with a pair of shorts, a T Shirt and a waterproof jacket, so some progress.

Shorts are best in the rain - they dry out quickly.

OP
OP
P

porridge

Cathryn said:
Shorts are best in the rain - they dry out quickly.

Hi

Yes, thats what I thought, its the cycle home im dreading, i've brought a pair of woolie type jogging bottoms (that absorb the rain) and of course the shorts that I wore in, do I say s*d it and take the walk of shame past everyone in my shorts or put vanity ahead of discomfort?.

I've got until 3 to decide;)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
porridge said:
Hi

Yes, thats what I thought, its the cycle home im dreading, i've brought a pair of woolie type jogging bottoms (that absorb the rain) and of course the shorts that I wore in, do I say s*d it and take the walk of shame past everyone in my shorts or put vanity ahead of discomfort?.

I've got until 3 to decide;)
Alternatively, turn up for work one day in drag, and after that, they won't bat an eyelid about your cycling gear! :rolleyes::biggrin:
Seriously though, don't worry about what "they" think... nobody ever looks as iffy as you think you do...
also, most regular cyclists have pretty damn good legs, so in a bit, you'll be wearing your shorts with pride!

DLB

I have two cyclin waterproof jackets...

The endura convert is for when its colder (than now) so ideal for spring, winter and autumn

wiggle have a good offer on last years model at the moment if large or xl is good for you...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Endura_Convert_Waterproof_Jacket/5360020525/

for the summer i have a montane featherlite jacket which rolls up to the size of a tennis ball and is really good in light showers..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11427

DLB

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I'm extremely self-conscious and worry about what people think, but the sheer comfort of lycra is enough to overcome that.

I sweat like Niagra Falls even on a cold day, so to have wicking clothing that dries quickly and won't bunch up and chafe when wet is great.

Because of my 'perspiration issues', I never wear a jacket or rainwear when on the bike unless it's in the depths of winter, freezing, a howling gale and torrential rain. That's the only time when boiling in the bag is bearable (though I do end up as wet under the jacket as I do on the outside).

GrahamG

Guru
You've had some great feedback here - but I'll still add my tuppence worth:

I only wear just lycra for serious weekend rides. For commuting etc. I wear a pair of MTB/touring shorts over lycra and if it was a fair old distance (6+ miles each way) then I'd be wearing a skin tight base layer (sleeveless maybe?) under a loose cycling top or 65/35 poly/cotton casual t-shirt - otherwise I get runners nipple!

Oh, and I have no problem with seeing a bit of 'girth' in lycra - that'll be me in 10 years :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
Don't worry about what you look like in the office, of course you get the odd comment to begin with but after the first week no one will notice, i.e. they soon get bored.

Top Bottom