help with conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugbyluke

Hi gents

I have decided to convert my 2010 Viking torino as it has cardon forks and a good frame that fits me.

Need help with cheap deep rim wheels with sealed hubs.

New front crank

Bull bars

Any help on websites/brands will be great.

If its cheaper to buy the wheel in bits and build muself eg hubs, spokes etc etc

Any help will be grand

Basil.B

Guru

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
are the dropouts horizontal or vertical ?

if horizontal great no worries if they are vertical not sure you will be able to go fixed and you will need a tensioner if going single speed

OP
OP
rugbyluke

rugbyluke

are the dropouts horizontal or vertical ?

if horizontal great no worries if they are vertical not sure you will be able to go fixed and you will need a tensioner if going single speed

Sorry Biggs I dont know what you mean?????

OP
OP
rugbyluke

rugbyluke

Does this help?

Attachments

• DSC_0169.jpg
    DSC_0169.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 61

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
this is my Saracen single speed bike (for sale at moment) the dummy rear deraileur is used to keep chain tensioned which is what you will need to do

sarac.jpg

OP
OP
rugbyluke

rugbyluke

Nice mate

Sorry but looking for a fixie

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, you can't go fixed with vertical dropouts, as there's no way to tension the chain.
Either singlespeed, or a different frame. They're your options, sadly.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
What Briggsy's trying to tell you, Rugbyluke, is that your bike has vertical rear dropouts, and so is unsuitable for conversion to a fixie.

Why? Because chain tension is crucial on a fixed gear bike. Getting that tension just right means you must be able either to move the rear wheel relative to the chainring - by means of horizontal dropouts - or the chainring relative to the rear wheel (by means of, say, an eccentric bottom bracket).

On a dérailleur-geared bike, the rear derailleur's springing keeps the chain wrapped around the rear sprockets and tight, so there's no need for fine adjustment of the rear wheel's position.

On a single-speed bike, you can use a similar derailleur, locked in position, or a chain tensioner, to maintain tension, without having to adjust the rear wheel's position.

On a fixed-gear bike, this won't work. I'll attempt to explain why, but it's kind of tricky, and you probably won't understand until you've ridden one for a bit, but here goes... Taking away the freewheel changes things fundamentally. When you're freewheeling on a bike that's got a freewheel, the transmission's doing nothing. No torque is going anywhere through the transmission. In the same situation on a fixie, the transmission is still in action, only now the torque's going the other way - all the momentum of your weight and speed and the bike's are pumped back through that chain to your legs. You can resist this to slow the bike down. But not if there's a chain tensioner - that will only work with the transmission going forwards. If you try to resist on a fixe with a tensioner, the tensioner would fold up - and probably break. Then the chain would come off, potentially jamming the transission.... and things become expensive very quickly.

All that torque coming back through the transmission at you is quite fearsome. You do NOT want anything going wrong with the transmission. If it does go wrong, it can be spectacular and very, very dangerous.

No, fixie chains need to be properly tensioned (and treated with great respect). For this, a suitable frame is needed. I'm afraid yours looks to be not suitable.

But fear not - you can find a really hip old steel frame with horizontal dropouts on Ebay for a few quid and transfer your other parts - or just build a complete new bike. I did.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
If you just want to try riding a single speed to see what it is like, the cheapest way is with a conversion that fits directly onto your freehub as a replacement of your block. Costs vary a little, but a tenner is the norm. With that in place you can try it without spending a fortune, & if you don't like it, just put your block back on.

simon.r

Person
It is theoretically possible to run fixed with vertical dropouts, IF you can find the right combination of gearing and chain length. A half-link chain will help. Chain tension needs to be about right, but there is some tolerance in what's 'right'.

I'd agree with Simon R, but if you're going to use a bicycle a lot and expect it to be sitting there in most weathers, waiting to be ridden with minimal maintenance, I'd counsel against building a fixed-gear bike on vertical dropouts.

There are frames kicking around all over the place with horizontal or near-horizontal drop-outs.

A few people have gone fixed with new-style vertical drop-outs, but there is a difference between 'possible' and 'desirable'.

If this is going to be built to hang onto and ride for a while, I'd be inclined to find the right frame. It just makes so many things so much easier.

Top Bottom