Help with difficult decision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
image.jpeg
Tonight I broke the front brake on my daughter's bike after promising to fix her brakes:blush:

Does anyone know what this nut is called? I could maybe fix it if I got another.

I think I need to bite the bullet and buy her a new one.

However, at £350 for an Islabike, I said to my wife I'd need to keep it in my security enhanced garage and she wouldn't be able to take it out whenever she felt like it.

So what's the point in that? she asked.

My daughter likes to take it out, ride about the street, dump it back in garden and go in and watch TV etc. She will be 7 in a month.

Saw a £100 20" wheeled bike on Decathlon at 11.6kg but felt like the worst father on earth for depriving her of a super duper light one. Looked at Islabike at £350 but honestly can't see how we'd keep it safe/not wrecked while at the same time allowing her to continue a childhood where she gets to experience fun things instead of obsessing about keeping things neat and tidy.

So £100 11.6kg bike she can throw about like children do or £350 8kg one that is honestly cry every time she bumped down a kerb?!

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Problem with Islabike is we can't get her on one in LBS before investing a substantial amount of money.

Tin Pot

Guru
View attachment 138031 Tonight I broke the front brake on my daughter's bike after promising to fix her brakes:blush:

Does anyone know what this nut is called? I could maybe fix it if I got another.

However, at £350 for an Islabike, I said to my wife I'd need to keep it in my security enhanced garage and she wouldn't be able to take it out whenever she felt like it.

My daughter likes to take it out, ride about the street, dump it back in garden and go in and watch TV etc. She will be 7 in a month.

Saw a £100 20" wheeled bike on Decathlon at 11.6kg but felt like the worst father on earth for depriving her of a super duper light one. Looked at Islabike at £350 but honestly can't see how we'd keep it safe/not wrecked while at the same time allowing her to continue a childhood where she gets to experience fun things instead of obsessing about keeping things neat and tidy.

So £100 11.6kg bike she can throw about like children do or £350 8kg one that is honestly cry every time she bumped down a kerb?!

You are not the worst father for spending wisely, it's part of your role.

Cheap and cheerful, or "investment" - it's your call.

I'll be getting my boy a £150 bike that will last a couple of years of occasional use, and pass down to his sister.

Booyaa

Veteran
Tonight I broke the front brake on my daughter's bike after promising to fix her brakes:blush:

I don't get that to be honest. We got our daughter a Frog bike, in the hope that it will be kept scratch free etc but it's not, it's been well used. We are coming to the end of it's useful size unfortunately and there are a fair few scrapes on it but I've never seen a bike that doesn't have that. Glad we got her a good bike so she could enjoy going out more and hopefully encourage her to do it more. Dreading having to buy a new one though, might go cheaper this time!

AM1

I don't mean this nastily but It sounds like you'd make cycling an islabike something she'd want to avoid for fear of the rules list and Spanish inquisition.

Buy her a bike you don't particularly care about the cost or condition of and just let her be a kid having fun on it.

Good bit of advice that

simongt

Guru
Agree. As a child, having a bike is about having fun, so a 'cheap & cheerful' model is one to go for. If said child displays interest in looking after their bike, then progress from there. :thumbsup:

Goggs

Guru
When I was that age, as far as I remember, all it had to have was wheels. Buy her the cheap one. Plenty time yet for her to become class-conscious.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I didn't have a £170+ bike till I started working and bought myself a Raleigh M_Trax Ti-1000 for £350 if memory serves.
Both my girls have Decathlon £150 bikes and I never once had a complaint. The missus rides a £170 Decathlon bike and her 17 year old son borrows it from time to time. No complaints there either.
A £150 bike will be more than enough until she shows an interest in cycling and buys her own. She'll live.

Top Bottom