Help with my shoulders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All
I wonder if any of you can help me with what is becoming a real pain in the neck literally. I used to ride a flat handlebar hybrid and have never had any problems. Having always wanted a racing bike I had a Giant Avail for Christmas from my other half and love it and just want to get out and about. But, I have no probs up to 10 miles but after that I start to get spasms in my shoulders - I can't turn my head to look either right or left as it's unbearable and I get dreadful aching pains down my left arm. I've been to my local bike shop and had my riding position checked, I'm trying not to tense up and relax and my arms arent locked when I'm riding. After 21 miles yesterday I really was in excruiating pain and had a job to get my top off.
Please, please what advice have you got.
Thanks in advance
Hel

jimboalee

Ask your 'Other half' to give you a massage and then rub some Deep Heat on before going to bed tonight... Your shoulders and neck ;)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I had that in my right shoulder at the base of the neck, for me it was all related to setup. I was also getting numbness in my hands. If you're not gripping too tight then I'd look at the weight balance first, ie how much weight your arms support. Basically tick things off one at a time, saddle height and angle, height of bars, length of stem.

I was getting my issue with straight flat bars and switched to butterfly bars. But I also got an adjustable stem to vary height until I get it right. Once achieved I'll probably swop the adjustable stem for a fixed in that configuration. Sheldon Brown gives very good advice in this area and is adamant that bikes can be set up so that you don't get these issues.

Blue

Legendary Member
I solved a somewhat similar, but less severe, issue by flipping the stem on my bike to give a slightly more relaxed position.

It may also assist if you move around the drops/hoods/tops from the start of each trip to give a constantly changing position.

Good luck with the issue.

Hi Hel
I would loosen off the handlebars and rotate them slightly back towards you so that you are not leaning so much on your arms.

You can also try cocking your head slightly as you ride, so that you are looking slightly sideways at the road ahead. Sounds strange, but it can really relieve pressure and stress in the neck caused by effectively tilting your head back for hours at a time.

Welcome, by the way.

Pain in the neck

HI, I'm a keen cyclist and osteopath and have both experienced this sort of problem personally and treated the same sort of thing often.
Firstly, as has been said, it was triggered by your lower setup(difference between seat and bar height) putting your neck into an unaccustomed degree of extension and weightbearing on your arms. This has triggered a protective increase in muscle tension (spasm), causing the painful and restricted neck movement and probably some compression of the nerves that travel from your neck into your arms.
My best advice is to get a good reputable osteopath to treat you ASAP and in the meantime do some gentle neck stretching exercises (look in the cycle radar CYCLING PLUS as they have had some good features on neck stretching) and stay off your new bike until it all settles down

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just to give you encouragement....I've cycled since a kid, and was in a club at 16. When I hit 30, work commitments and a young family meant the miles dropped of, although I still went out. Had about 6 light riding years, and about 2 and a bit years ago I got back into it.

I'll tell you, same bikes, no changes...I'd hurt like hell after 45 minutes - really sore neck/back.

I kept at it and it faded away as I got fit again. Now, can ride 120 miles with no problems from the back or neck... (not that I do that distance often) but three plus hours isn't an issue.

Stick at it - it takes time !

Top Bottom