Help with nutrition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paprika

Hi everyone, I got a question. So to start off I've not yet been to long rides and I'm planning to go for one (around 100 kms). I know it's not that much but anyway, my question is: what should I actually eat before, during, and after the trip? Thank you from advance

Doobiesis

Über Member
Porridge and some toast with peanut better. During the ride electrolyte and gels every hour.

....or just eat what you fancy every hour or so. But yes, you'll need to drink or eat on the ride. I do a bottle every 15mikes.

Things I eat include sandwiches, sausage rolls, cake, bananas, flap jacks, chips, jelly babies, scotch egg. Not all every trip obviously.

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Put some haribo's in your cycling Jersey rear pockets & just grab one or two for a sugar rush :smile:

Tea & cake for afters

13 rider

Guru
Proper food on the ride my favourite is malt loaf .Decent breakfast before , cake afterwards ^_^ Gels work but can upsets some people stomachs not nice so perhaps try one on a shorter ride first
Don't forget to drink little and often

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I eat about an ounce of flapjack or similar at sixty-ninety minutes and every ten miles thereafter, drinking water when I'm thirsty (if you run low, there's usually shops in villages, water fountains in towns or taps in cemeteries).

vickster

Legendary Member
Stop for lunch at the appropriate time :smile: sandwich and coffee works for me, I tend to avoid salad in the sandwich as can be a tad indigestible. Cake is of course obligatory too

adamangler

Veteran
I usually just eat cereal before, porridge, weetabix etc. Take a few flapjacks and gels. Protein shake when home Then eat whatever I fancy when I get hungry. Yesterday it was pasta and meatballs.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I'll concede that if you're a speedy young whippet (which I'm not) then nutrition might have some importance because you may lack the natural fat reserves that us regular mortals possess. After my usual breakfast (home made cereal and toast) I wouldn't normally bother to eat until I get back home on a ride of less than 6 hours. (OK, I do do cake occasionally - I can handle it.)

Oh, I take food with me - I've been carrying the same flapjack around with me since I got it from the NEC bike show last September, I just can't bring myself to actually eat it. Same goes for gels and energy bars, they taste disgusting but they have a purpose, they're there to remind you that you can manage at least another 10 miles without having to eat anything, and 10 miles on they're still there to remind you that you can do another 10. And so on until you get home. Most of mine are past their sell by dates but they still work. I'm sure it's where Terry Pratchett came up with his idea for Dwarf bread - something so horrible that you'll always find something else to eat. Like the soles of your shoes.

And, for extra insurance, a bottle of cider chilling in the fridge works like magic. I can hear it calling to me as soon as I turn for home...

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'll concede that if you're a speedy young whippet (which I'm not) then nutrition might have some importance because you may lack the natural fat reserves that us regular mortals possess.
I'm living proof that you don't have to be speedy or young to lack fat reserves... and I'm not the only 10mph freewheeler who I've known suffer hunger knock on a medium-length ride because we weren't carrying enough food! (And yes, I share my food if I've enough to spare or know where we can get more.)

adamangler

Veteran
I've bonked before on 3 hour rides but it depends on intensity. I eat every 20mins on the bike if I'm going to be going 3 hours plus. Less than 3 hours and I won't bother or maybe just have something like a flapjack half way. But then I always eat before I set off out.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
I usually have big bowl of porridge and a couple of rounds of toast an hour before the start and a take a whole loaf of soreen in the wrapper which I can start taking a bite out of after about 25 miles then every 30 mins or so until the ride is done.
Sometimes I use jellybeans \ jelly babies instead.
Gells are horrible, messy and expensive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom