Help with nutrition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mrs A is very fond of some gel-like things called Bloks (I think). Not tried them myself, but she was given one when suffering on a 100k ride she hadn't prepared for properly and they fixed her. Like gels it seems but harder and non-sticky. Need to be used with a drink of water. Anybody else know about these?

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Mrs A is very fond of some gel-like things called Bloks (I think). Not tried them myself, but she was given one when suffering on a 100k ride she hadn't prepared for properly and they fixed her. Like gels it seems but harder and non-sticky. Need to be used with a drink of water. Anybody else know about these?
Bloks are OK, like a lbig wine gum!

But stuff gels, plain old Dextrosols are cheap, available, easy to scoff and are non sticky.

Widge

Baldy Go
Crisps and Beer do it for me.........plus my regular medication.

Where am I going wrong :sad: ?

W

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Everyone's different so experiment and see what suits you .
I have found i need less to eat than i used too , dependent on route .
My last 75 miler i ate ...
breakfast
big bowl of muesli + coffee
food stop
flap jack + handful of jelly babies
on the road
2 gels + 1 energy bar
2 bottles of high 5 energy

I will admit i could have done with more to drink and i did cramp up a bit near the end .
The above was for a sportive mainly solo , if it was a club run i would not have any gels/energy bars , the bottles would have no cal electrolytes but i would get a cake + coffee stop rather than a grab and go.

si_c

Guru
My 90miler last week consisted of the following:

Breakfast:
Cereal and 2 cups of coffee
Lunch:
Beans on toast, rocky road cake, bottle of coke and a latte
On the go:
4 kelloggs cereal bars (forget which ones)

2x750ml bottles, one with water, one with 3xhigh5 zero tabs. I drank the high5 one first, as I only have one bottle cage, and I bought some water to refill, although I did have more tabs with me I didn't use them.

I also had a bag of jelly babies in my pocket just in case, but I didn't need them.

I'm trying to work out what works best for me on longer rides to prevent me getting hungry and running out of energy, working on the basis of eating something every 10miles and having something to drink every 10 mins (even just a mouthful) worked well despite it being a hot day.

After the ride I had my normal dinner and then a later supper, but nothing too major.

I think you just have to work out what works for you, and that'll involve some experimentation. I prefer to stop and eat something proper though than use gels, others get on fine with them.

I regularly ride over 100 miles, in one trip.
The day before the ride, I'll load up with a meal containing lots of protein ( I find a 14 oz steak works well)
When I'm doing a ride like that, I'll have a banana for breakfast ( lots of magnesium, a small sugar hit, not too much volume). I'll take a 750 ml bottle of water, possibly with a hydration tab, if it's going to be warm. At the midway point, I'll have a coffee, and some sort of pastry, or cake. I'll take some malt loaf / fig rolls / Jelly babies, with me, as a quick 'get me home' fix, if I need them. I can't tolerate 'gels' they make me retch. It's horses for courses, and trial and error, as far as what you need to eat and drink. Everyone's requirements vary.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A good breakfast a few hours before the ride, then plenty to drink on the ride.You should not need to eat much more, maybe a bag of jelly babes.:okay:

Lemond

Until you really get a handle on how fit you are - and what you need to keep yourself fuelled - I'd suggest you take more food and drink than you think you might need. A gel weighs next to nothing so it's far better to carry and not need than need and not carry. Cash too, for emergency top ups.

The flip side is don't eat too much, as you can only process so much. There's some good info on the Torq and SIS websites, with tips on how much to eat and when. GCN do some really good videos too on YouTube. You don't need gels and the like if you don't like them; there are loads of alternatives.

For me, every hour I ride I'm looking to drink 500ml and will eat a gel and an energy bar (or equivalent). Others I ride with eat and drink less, but they are definitely fitter than me and they don't seem to suffer any ill effects.

First time I did 60 miles I didn't take nearly enough, and the last ten miles hurt like hell. Never want to make that mistake again, so usually find I'm putting something back in the box after each ride.

Don't ignore bananas. Certainly seem to hold off cramp, but that might be just me!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
gels... xx(

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
I work on Porridge for breakfast, with coffee. Always carry plenty of food and gels in my jersey pocket. Flapjacks, cereal bars etc. I use the SIS Isotonic gels. You don't need water with them. I work on a rough principle of 100g of carbs per hour. For hydration I always use High 5 Electrolyte tabs in water to prevent cramps.

Regularly riding 75miles plus. However as others have said try different things and find your own sweet spot. However slow release carbs pre-ride, fast carbs during the ride and more carbs and protein post-ride. I hope this helps.

Lakesideride

Hi everyone, I got a question. So to start off I've not yet been to long rides and I'm planning to go for one (around 100 kms). I know it's not that much but anyway, my question is: what should I actually eat before, during, and after the trip? Thank you from advance
Banana and a peanut butter granola bar, I find that works:smile: have fun

Top Bottom