Help With Pricing a Used Wheelset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zenroad

I'm selling a 1999 wheelset locally, and I don't know how to price it. The buyer doesn't know what to offer me, and I don't know what to ask.

Here's what I've got:
Bontrager rims
Bontrager by Chris King hubs.
DT spokes
Front wheel is 24 spokes, radial lacing
Rear is 28 spokes, radial drive-side, 2-cross non-drive side
Wheels have been and remain maintenance-free

Keep in mind that the wheels are 13 years old, but have never been off-road. They were stock on a '99 Klein Adroit Race, which I'm still riding. Road miles only. Wheels are straight, strong, no cracks, never crashed. They seem good to go. Not new, used but never abused.

Any ideas? I'm in the U.S.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Given the vintage I assume non-disc hubs? Limits the market and the appeal. Might I suggest you take a look at the forums at www.retrobike.co.uk as you may get some useful info there.

OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

Thanks, Greg! I appreciate it. Yes, non-disc. But the young guy who wants to buy the set is unconcerned. He's actually a bike shop clerk. He likes the Chris King hubset, which he will rebuild when these rims give up the ghost.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
with retro gear in UK condition is paramount and items are 'worth' what the buyer is prepared to pay, sometimes common sense goes out the window.

OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

These Chris King hubs have been stellar. Zero maintenance for 13 years. Never a problem. I'm replacing them with White Industries Mi6 disc hubs. 40-hole front. 48-hole rear. Salsa Gordo 26" rims. Wheels for the Apocalypse! :bicycle:

02GF74

Über Member
difficult to say for a set of 13 year old wheels - only worth as much as someone would pay ... have you looked on ebay completed listings for similar set and adjusted for condition.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Really? I was thinking more like $250. Is that way too much? Chris King hubs. Bontrager rims. Wheels still totally intact.
If you'll settle for $100 I'll have ' em! ;)

02GF74

Über Member
there you go - you have a sale already :smile: not sure if ^^^ realises they are in US so there is VAT and import duty as well as postage on top.

OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

The wheelset is now available, and I still don't know what to ask. Also, I would unlace them and part with only the hubs if someone were interested. "Bontrager by Chris King" hubs. These things have been dynamite. The definition of "maintenance free" for 13 years. I haven't had to touch them. Keep in mind that they have seen no off-road use. Nice, smooth road miles only. Never crashed. Never abused. The bike (Klein) was always stored indoors. Front wheel is radially laced, rear is radially laced on the drive side, 3-cross on the non-drive side. The rims are straight as an arrow. Remarkable, considering their age, though not surprising, considering the non-off-road use mentioned above. I was road rider for years before I bought this bike, and I have a smooth riding style. Never crashed these wheels.

Any ideas anyone? I'm thinking of EBaying them.

Top Bottom