Help with Shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eyegocycle

Hi all,

I am hoping someone may be able to help me out with some advice on shifters. The preface to this is that I often have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to my bike - I just enjoy cycling it. So please, be prepared for some super newb rambling.

I have a bit of a Frankenstein's monster of a road/racer based around a 80s frame with converted gears. The gears have been funky but function-able for years but I'm finally going to do something about it. I have been advised by my friendly bikesmiths to get my hands on an '8 speed sti Shimano RSX'. From some initial research, this seems to be what I am looking for. What I have learned though is that this type of shifter was produced for only one year in 1999. My assumption is that it may be hard to get my hands on my hunting so far proving this correct.

Figuring out a suitable alternative leaves me on shaky ground. Would anybody have the knowledge to point out a model that would do the job? I specifically need an 8 speed. I'm currently making the assumption that the bike guys told me to get RSX because my current 7 speeds are RSX. I am going to be continuing the conversation with them as well.

Would any 8 speed Shimano work? Not sure of the parameters I can hunt for some in.
Ha, the more I write of this, the more it seems like the simplest of questions. Shame on my lack of knowledge. Thank you for making it to the end, I appreciate your time. Any help would be great! If more info regarding my setup is required, lemme know. :smile:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hi all,

I am hoping someone may be able to help me out with some advice on shifters. The preface to this is that I often have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to my bike - I just enjoy cycling it. So please, be prepared for some super newb rambling.

I have a bit of a Frankenstein's monster of a road/racer based around a 80s frame with converted gears. The gears have been funky but function-able for years but I'm finally going to do something about it. I have been advised by my friendly bikesmiths to get my hands on an '8 speed sti Shimano RSX'. From some initial research, this seems to be what I am looking for. What I have learned though is that this type of shifter was produced for only one year in 1999. My assumption is that it may be hard to get my hands on my hunting so far proving this correct.

Figuring out a suitable alternative leaves me on shaky ground. Would anybody have the knowledge to point out a model that would do the job? I specifically need an 8 speed. I'm currently making the assumption that the bike guys told me to get RSX because my current 7 speeds are RSX. I am going to be continuing the conversation with them as well.

Would any 8 speed Shimano work? Not sure of the parameters I can hunt for some in.
Ha, the more I write of this, the more it seems like the simplest of questions. Shame on my lack of knowledge. Thank you for making it to the end, I appreciate your time. Any help would be great! If more info regarding my setup is required, lemme know. :smile:

Welcome to the forum,
I far as I know, RSX was replaced by Sora. I believe that any Shimano 8 speed shifters would work, but I stand to be corrected.

carpenter

Über Member
I have used these Shimano Tourney "brifters" with Shimano RX100 derailleur (on two of my bikes) - love it, very precise/smooth on gear changes:

https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/shi...Wx8pnzpR__wajGt0laIaAjGKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I reckon that these would also work (cheaper and have advantage of coming with cables):
https://www.bankruptbikeparts.co.uk...fter-lever-set-double-16-speed-new-bbp2211395

Or hunt around on eBay, but you may buy a lemon that way :sad: (I just have a feeling, perhaps not justified. that buying a used brifter is a risk as you don't know how heavy handed the previous user was).

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Just avoid Dura-Ace below 9 speed and any Shimano rear derailleurs from 6 to 10 speed should work perfectly as long as the number of speeds on the cassette matches the speeds on the shifter.

Front shifting with STI* is a bit more tricky. You need to get the correct lever type (double or triple) and Shimano changed the road front cable pull at least once. Road front triples (rare) have a different cable pull, too.

*fairly pointless for a double, but they did it

OP
OP
eyegocycle

eyegocycle

Thanks folks!

Useful stuff. At the very least this answers my question that I'm not limited to the task my bike repairs guys sent me away with in trying to find an exact model of shifter. I will explore those suggestions - appreciate it! I'm also realising that my current shifters are much more modern than I thought and my initial concern about matching up is more a problem when it come to vintage authenticity, but not so much functionality.

In regards to my mechanisms, I may not be savvy enough to instantly know what to list off in response. Basically, I have a 2x8speed system (road bike) but my shifters don't match (I think they are 2x7) and I've had a skipping gear change in there which is what I'm trying to get rid of.

It sounds like any 8 speed would work, which is great, and IF I want to keep as close as I can to what I have without a monster hunt for an 8speed RSX, Sora is my friend.

Thanks for the help!!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I have a 105 front mech working off a Deore DX thumbshifter. The throw of the shifter is small and the effort is consequently rather high!

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've looked at this when converting my 8 speed tourer to drop bars and finally went for non-indexed bar end shifters- they may be an option for you.

Welcome, and no shame in being new to this!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If your 7 speed shifts work, then you could just change the cassette to a 7 speed one?

if 8spd is the referred option then as well are various shimano products that have been (Sora) or still are (Claris, 2300) 8 speed, Claris is ore likely to be your friend than Sora on a "new" basis.

Also Microshift are shimano compatible, so you may find some 8spd Microshift R8 shifters on ebay etc new stock for cheap.

Top Bottom