help with spoke lengths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GazK

Veteran
Can anyone help me with spoke lengths? I bought some Ambrosio Zenith hubs and Rigida 700c Snyper rims from Spa Cycles. They advised me on spoke lengths, and the order arrived yesterday. Apart from the fact that they sent me a 32 hole front hub - doh! - it is only now, when I come to part out the spokes for my rear wheel build that I spotted the following error in Spa's email:

"Dear Spa, I am using:

Rigida Sputnik 700c 36 hole rims
Ambrosio Zenith hubs
sapim race except for rear drive side (sapim strong)
standard 3 cross lacing

Could you please advise?"

reply:

"Rear - LHS - 290mm Drive side - 292mm
Front - 293mm"

Now I'm no expert builder but I do know that drive side spokes are shorter than non-drive side. Needless to say, I'm not trusting Spa very much at the moment, what with the hub and all. A sympathetic view would be that they transposed the two values in the email, and its 290 drive side, 292 non-drive. I would like to check for myself, but neither Ambrosio or Rigida seem to have technical data available, and neither product is listed in spocalc. I don't want to ruin the wheel by using the wrong lengths.

Does anyone know the correct spoke lengths, or failing that, at least the rim and hub data?

OP
OP
GazK

GazK

Veteran
Following up on this, I have resorted to measuring the hub myself using the Musson techniques. But I still need an ERD for the rim. Also, I have been rechecking the spokes Spa have sent me, and it appears they have realised their mistake and sent me 290 strong and 292 race. Is it any wonder my head is spinning?

I would still like to check it for myself though.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Have tried googling spoke length calculator? The are a wide range of on-line tools which can help you.

Top Bottom