Help with tyre choice crisis please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
I'm planning my LEJOG for later this summer, and aiming for a fairly fast pace, spreading it over seven days of actual cycling (plus one or two rest days). I'll therefore be travelling mainly on faster roads. I also have support so will be travelling light. I was going to use Continental 4 Seasons 28mm, but fitting them in my Ribble Sportive Race frame they are skimming against the frame in the rear. I swapped out the 28s for 25mm 4 Seasons, and they are ridiculously skinny. Conti sizes are notoriously innacurate! The 4 Seasons seemed a good balance between rolling resistance, all-weather grip, puncture protection and weight, with the 28s providing some comfort for long miles in the saddle. So I need a tyre that hits all those bases while being a smidgin smaller than the 4 Season 28s, but bigger than the 25s. Suggestions and discussion invited please!

What's the internal width of your rims please? This can have a marked effect on actual tyre width when pumped up

Ajax Bay

Guru
How heavy will you, your bike and minimal baggage be? Affects how high the pressures need to be and thus tyre width. I used a GP 4 Seasons tyre on the front for my 9 day LEJOG and by the Orkneys (1600km) it seemed hardly worn at all. Good choice. That was a 28-622 but measured narrow (in a 15mm inner width rim and at 80psi) at about 26.5mm wide.
I have a GP4S on the front again (after a year of Michelin Pro4 SC), again in 28 flavour, and have two 1000km rides coming up.
Given that you are supported (and doing it in 7 days so at a fair speed) I suggest you consider Conti 4000S II which will offer 6w less rolling resistance (ie 12w 'non-loss') with pretty good puncture resistance and endurance. I have a 28 4000S II on the rear at present, but it measures way more: maybe 30 so getting a 25 would give you a bit of width (that you said you want) but not too much. Another choice is the Michelin Pro4 Endurance (£25 at Decathlon at present) which will give you better rolling resistance than the GP4S and better puncture protection. See this comparison (link below). I have found the 25-622 Michelins come up wide (eg about 26mm - 15mm inner width rim at 80psi) and did LEL on them last year.
Compare/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-2014-vs-continental-grand-prix-4-season-2015-vs-michelin-pro-4-endurance-v2-2015
What route are you taking?
Day 1?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Edgy Dee

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
What's the internal width of your rims please? This can have a marked effect on actual tyre width when pumped up
First, apologies to both you and @Ajax Bay for not replying sooner. It's been a crazy week!

The wheels I tested with are Vision Team 35s with rim internal width of 18.9mm. An alternative possibility is a set of DT Swiss CSW RA 2.0s, but I'll need to check their width. The DT Swiss may be a better option for audax anyway. I'm also planning on getting a set of Hunts, but may want to save those for sportives. I've never really thought much about the effect of rim width on tyre profile before, but as you say, it seems it can be quite significant!

OP
OP
Edgy Dee

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
How heavy will you, your bike and minimal baggage be? Affects how high the pressures need to be and thus tyre width. I used a GP 4 Seasons tyre on the front for my 9 day LEJOG and by the Orkneys (1600km) it seemed hardly worn at all. Good choice. That was a 28-622 but measured narrow (in a 15mm inner width rim and at 80psi) at about 26.5mm wide.
I have a GP4S on the front again (after a year of Michelin Pro4 SC), again in 28 flavour, and have two 1000km rides coming up.
Given that you are supported (and doing it in 7 days so at a fair speed) I suggest you consider Conti 4000S II which will offer 6w less rolling resistance (ie 12w 'non-loss') with pretty good puncture resistance and endurance. I have a 28 4000S II on the rear at present, but it measures way more: maybe 30 so getting a 25 would give you a bit of width (that you said you want) but not too much. Another choice is the Michelin Pro4 Endurance (£25 at Decathlon at present) which will give you better rolling resistance than the GP4S and better puncture protection. See this comparison (link below). I have found the 25-622 Michelins come up wide (eg about 26mm - 15mm inner width rim at 80psi) and did LEL on them last year.
Compare/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-2014-vs-continental-grand-prix-4-season-2015-vs-michelin-pro-4-endurance-v2-2015
Day 1?
Thanks @Ajax Bay for a really useful reply.

My weight 86kg. The support is Mrs Edgy waving a metaphorical hanky at each day's depart, and picking up the pieces at each finish, with a possible mid-point rendezvous for a pot of tea and proper food. I'm using a Rixen Kaul Contour Magnum bag which will take about 2 kg and stuffing it with food, gels and tools, and two 750ml bidons, otherwise 'living off the land' with the credit card.

I usually run GP4000SII 25s for summer speed, and GP4season 28s for winter reliability, inflated to their maximum pressure rating - it seems to inhibit the p-fairy. I'm really liking the look of the Michelins for this trip, thanks!

Starting early on a Sunday morning to avoid the grockles, my Day 1 target is Crediton, getting off the A30 past Redruth onto the A3075, then A39 and A395 to Launceston, over the hill to Okehampton, and on to Crediton. It grates to submit to the scandalously inadaquate provision for legitimate highway use by cyclists on the A30, but I'm giving priority to my own enjoyment over my cycling advocacy militant tendency.

Don't get me started on the NCN!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Day 1 target is Crediton, getting off the A30 past Redruth onto the A3075, then A39 and A395 to Launceston, over the hill to Okehampton, and on to Crediton.
Route comments and see this RwGPS link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27594835
1) On the A3075 to Newquay, expect the double bend after Perranzabuloe (57k) - it's always caught me out.
2) Passing Newquay on A392, turn off at White Cross, picking up NCN32 to pass through St Columb Major. This is better than going down to the A392/A39 roundabout.
3) In St Columb Major (78k), after the one way, turn right (ie back round the one way) and first left down Union Hill to the end, inner ring, and up the path and out onto the A39. Optimum.
4) On the A395, after Hallworthy, take the Egloskerry road left. This is a decent road, gets you off the A395, avoids the roads parallel to the A30 (dual carriageway) and the drop into Launceston (and town congestion), and you can link across to the A388 out of town, towards the 'old' A30 through Lifton etc. A kilometre shorter too.
5) Smoky Joe's Cafe just after you come off the A30 (at 47k): fast 'trucker and biker food, good for breakfast (2nd).
6) (On the KSW 600 Permanent last summer) I confess I was attracted to stop at a layby cafe called 'Nice Baps' just after steady climb on the A39 after crossing the River Camel (at speed!) (94k) - about 9am. Quick and tasty, and coffee.
HTH
Start date?
Hummers 7 x 200k? You'll need a few extra k on the route I've plotted.

OP
OP
Edgy Dee

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
Wow! Thanks for such a detailed post. Roadside feed stations are handy intelligence. Looking at mid-September now after the schools go back. Just hoping there's enough daylight still, and reasonable weather. Many thanks.

OP
OP
Edgy Dee

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
Day 1?
I picked up a pair of Michelin Pro 4 25s on Ebay for just under £40. On my Vision Team 35 rims (18.9mm wide) they inflate to 27mm. Perfecto! Thank you @Ajax Bay. :okay:

J_H1026

Having just done LEJOG with 6 pals, all of whom were running GP4000IIs, we had 3 punctures between us. I'd go for them over the 4 seasons.

OP
OP
Edgy Dee

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
Having just done LEJOG with 6 pals, all of whom were running GP4000IIs, we had 3 punctures between us. I'd go for them over the 4 seasons.
Thanks guys. Funnily enough I just switched back to the GP4000IIs for the summer and immediately posted a KoM on Strava. I like that they are much bigger than the rated 25c too. Then again, even 0.5 p's per 1000 miles is maybe still more risk than I want! What was your daily mileage? Remember I'm aiming for 125+, so reliability is key. Anyway, I've invested in the Pro4s now, and fitted them to a set of hoops, so I think I'll road test them before I make a final decision. They perform well in the test quoted by @Ajax Bay above. Still a few months to ponder all the pros and cons...

J_H1026

We were doing an average of 110 miles per day (roughly). I found the GP4000IIs much quicker than the 4 season, they seem to roll with much less resistance but I've also ran the 4 seasons through the winter on my commute and I've had a couple of punctures on them so they're not bomb proof.

Top Bottom