Help with Tyres please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TonySud

I would welcome help and advice on new tyres for my hybrid.

It came with Specialized infinity tyres 700 x 38C

I wanted to get something with a slicker tread and also more puncture proof.

The choice was between Schwalbe Marathon plus or Nimbus Armadillos

I chose the Nimbus and 35C size but wish I had kept to 38C as I am finding the new tyres a bit unforgiving, although they are certainly more easy to propel when peddling, however when coasting they do not "glide" over bumps and dips the way my previous tyres did and quickly slow. It feels like I am now cycling through rough patches in the road rather than over them.

I am thinking of replacing with my original choice of Marathon plus tyres and wonder whether to go back to 38C size or stick with the 35C, given that the Marathons are softer compound and also do not inflate to the same pressure as the Nimbus Armadillos (85psi v 100psi)

I have seen 38C width on a bike and they look wide, however I read that they ride "narrow" and it is best to get a size up. Is it be because of the anti puncture insert that they do not flatten out as much as the Nimbus, if it is in fact correct that they do ride more "narrow"

Can anyone help.

Thanks
Tony

potsy

Rambler
Why don't you try dropping your tyre pressure a little?
Sounds quite high for such a wide tyre.

I run marathon supremes in 35c and don't go higher than 85psi :thumbsup:

OP
OP
T

TonySud

Marathons have a max pressure of 85psi but Nimbus Armadillos max is 100psi. So the shop that fitted them (for free) inflated to that pressure.

I will try easing the pressure and see what they are like, although I suspect that the harder compound and no tread account for the harsh ride. That is not so bad as I have suspension on the forks and sprung saddle. Mainly I dont like the way the tyre dies as you stop peddling, and lack of momentum roll, almost as if the brakes have been applied. I have noticed this same effect when I have ridden narrow tyre racing bikes.

Seem fast when peddling, but quick to slow down when not. I am not sure what causes it. Maybe the resistance against a smaller force (tyre) hitting bumps, road, holes etc, with no power behind it (i.e. peddling)

thanks

OP
OP
T

TonySud

In response to Jogger.

I echo his comment.

John Lewis Staff, know the products they sell and have an interest in doing so, as they are rewarded accordingly. That is why they stay in the company for years. Other large companies ask for loyalty and hard work, through the "your part of our family" bullshit. However they then sack their staff without hesitation when it suits them. Most large companies are unprincipled scum!

I hope John Lewis continue to succeed and do well!! CO-OP are also ethical in how they operate too.

Leodis

Veteran
I switched to Marathon's last month and they are good. I started on around 75psi from the store but increased to 85psi and it was a horrid ride on 700x28 so dropped them down to 75psi and the feel better. The worst part is the weight, in this current wind it does make a difference but the lack of worry about ********* is better than stopping 1-2 times a week to sort flats out.

BSRU

A Human Being
is better than stopping 1-2 times a week to sort flats out.
I dislike Marathon Plus tyres, they do not save any time as they are noticeably slower.
I can understand some people not wanting to change inner tubes in winter when it is dark, wet and cold but in the summer it is a quick job, also why bother having quick release wheels.
I save at least 15 to 20 minutes a day by riding on decent tyres, thereby saving at maybe up to two hours a week against the possible 10 to 15 minutes to change an inner tube.

Leodis

Veteran
I dislike Marathon Plus tyres, they do not save any time as they are noticeably slower.
I can understand some people not wanting to change inner tubes in winter when it is dark, wet and cold but in the summer it is a quick job, also why bother having quick release wheels.
I save at least 15 to 20 minutes a day by riding on decent tyres, thereby saving at maybe up to two hours a week against the possible 10 to 15 minutes to change an inner tube.

I don't think the speed is that much of an issue, I have seen maybe a few minutes slower nothing like the times you experience. Its not just the swapping tubes, its the cost of new ones and then the time you have to spend repairing the used ones, I could spend £20 a month of tubes on Kojaks. I much prefer to use Marathons then have that constant nagging of a flat in the back of my mind, for me to take an extra couple of minutes doing what I love is all the better.

BSRU

A Human Being
I don't think the speed is that much of an issue, I have seen maybe a few minutes slower nothing like the times you experience. Its not just the swapping tubes, its the cost of new ones and then the time you have to spend repairing the used ones, I could spend £20 a month of tubes on Kojaks. I much prefer to use Marathons then have that constant nagging of a flat in the back of my mind, for me to take an extra couple of minutes doing what I love is all the better.
I actually experimented with M+ tyres for a week to directly compare there cost in time on a standard commute.
I do not in reality save any time as I use the extra time to cycle further.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I use Marathon plus and have just gone down from a 38 to a 35, I haven't noticed any difference yet, but probably have only done 100 miles or so on them so far. I am planning on eventually going down to a 28 if my rims will take them.

Speed wise, my legs are the limiting factor not the tyre I use.

Top Bottom