Help With Vintage Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
only 4 .

my current total is 5 rideable plus 1 on the way and 3 more awaiting rebiulds etc etc

OP
OP
D

Dave W

Update time.

I've tested out the frame sizing and thank goodness, it's easily manageable. I can stand over it with zero clearance with feet flat on the floor but there's an inch or two once on tip toes. The frame seems really compact despite the flat top tube so I don't think the size will be a problem at all.

I'm currently waiting for the ebay seller to dispatch the decals so can't give it a final coat of lacquer until they are here and applied which is frankly infuriating as I have 3 days off and loads of time to get it done. I may just put it all back together and sort the decals out at a later date, I've messaged the seller to see when they will be sent but have got no response at all.

I'm quite happy with the final colour. While it's not exactly the right colour I don't think it's far off.

So now I know it will fit it's time to order some pedals and start looking for the right saddle though the one I have at the moment will do for now.

Here's a picture of the final frame colour ready for lacquer etc.

bad46639.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dave W

Right then, I've decided against the decals I have ordered as they are not quite the correct type.I'm going to order some from an Aussie supplier and fit them eventually.

It's all gone back together today, very well indeed if I do say so for myself.

I'm not happy with the bar tape as it's not "original" enough, it'll do for now though until I find some tape I'm happy with. I also want a white saddle and some new white walled 23mm tyres. The white spd's should be here tomorrow.

It's very much a work in progress and though it's now rideable and set up ready to go I still have lots more to do. Here's a picture up till now though, thanks for all the help in this thread.

c50fdc31.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dave W

excellent - well done.
Have you ridden it? Does it fit you or not?

I haven't, the roads are wet and that bike shall never see a wet road.

I have had a sit on it and though the standover height is tight to say the least, it's perfectly comfortable to ride or rather should be when it drys up a bit.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Have a look at Selle San Marco Rolls saddles: period appropriate and very comfortable (the peloton's choice for many years).

There are plenty on Ebay, but they're not much cheaper than new ones usually.

OP
OP
D

Dave W

Now have everything I need to completely sort out the restoration which will begin on the weekend.

Even got some campag crank dust covers and new o rings for the brake adjusters. :-)

OP
OP
D

Dave W

Big update on the restoration of my Torino, it's finished.:thumbsup:

Had a nightmare with the lacquer running and melting the stickers so one side of the seat tube looks a right mess but overall I'm quite pleased with it.

My advice to anyone restoring a bike is don't bother with lacquer, it's never going to be easy from a can as it sprays uneven and the finish is now in my opinion worse than the paint was on it's own but hey ho, I'm not rubbing it down and starting again.

I also wish I'd have got a new saddle too, the one I bought is great but as the rest of the bike is gleaming the saddle makes it look tatty in my opinion.

Just need some decent weather to get out on it now.

Anyway, here's a load of pictures. Please excuse the quality of them, I always like to take my bike shots outside but it's pouring down.

P.S, I know the brake block needs adjusting.;)

6828947229_2abcdae80d_z.jpg
Gios Torino Super Record Campagnolo Shifters by Dave W, on Flickr

6828949323_d191cdaecb_z.jpg
Gios Torino Super Record Seat Tube by Dave W, on Flickr

6828950577_61095f6547_z.jpg
Gios Torino Super Record Drivetrain by Dave W, on Flickr

6828951757_f587bcd076_z.jpg
Gios Torino Super Record Rear by Dave W, on Flickr

Attachments

• 6828947229_2abcdae80d_z.jpg
    6828947229_2abcdae80d_z.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 49