Help With Vintage Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I spent an hour doing the shifters which involved a tooth brush, white spirit and a needle. Still not happy with them but short of shot blasting them it's the best I can do.

Since they are not mirror polished, I have cleaned Campag levers just like that before with a wire brush with no ill effect.

OP
OP
D

Dave W

^_^

It's true, that blue isn't quite the Gios blue but it sure looks pretty. Think I'd leave it. Anyroad, you're making a nice job of it Dave.

Have you had a look at the wheel bearings yet?

Yeah wheels are done. Youtube is my friend and I changed the bearings no problem. The tyres are a bit grotty but decent kevlar jobbies so I'll leave em for now.

OP
OP
D

Dave W

Just been to Halfords and have a much better match for the paint colour now.

It's not easy finding none metallic or pearlescent paints these days that's for sure.

OP
OP
D

Dave W

All finished now, really happy with the paint job it looks lovely. All I need to do now is put it all back together with new stickers.

Only problem is I finally got round to measuring the frame and as I expected, it's huge. 59cm.:cry:

I'm only 5' 7'' with an inside leg of 30'' and though I could adjust the saddle height to a point I could ride it, the standover height is way too big.

I'm hoping I can somehow overcome this and try to ride it but am I dreaming here? I'll be gutted after all that work if I have to sell it.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The rule of thumb in those days before sloped top tube was an inch or so of clearance when standing over.

Unfortunately changing wheels from 27" to 700c (lower by 4mm, but potentially need different brakes) or picking really skinny tyres (~8mm if e.g. 28mm to 20mm) won't make a huge difference.

OP
OP
D

Dave W

The rule of thumb in those days before sloped top tube was an inch or so of clearance when standing over.

Unfortunately changing wheels from 27" to 700c (lower by 4mm, but potentially need different brakes) or picking really skinny tyres (~8mm if e.g. 28mm to 20mm) won't make a huge difference.

To be fair I could probably get that easily when standing on tip toes. I'll give it a go, my hybrid saddle is the same height and I never really stand over the top tube anyway.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
And there was me assuming you were over 6'. Done up and looking nice it will be worth a bit. You might wish to sell it if you find a smaller frame. But sell it to someone who'll look after it, please. :smile:

OP
OP
D

Dave W

How about a picture of the completed bike?

It's still in about 50 million pieces.^_^

I'm just waiting for rest days (wednesday) and the decals (hopefully Wednesday but unlikely) to get it all back together.

Will have a ride then if the weather is good and see if I'm dreaming about keeping it. The problem I have is that it's a friend's Brother's bike who passed away a number of years ago and the bike clearly has a sentimental value. She would obviously have no problem with me keeping the bike but flogging it would in my eyes be well below the belt, especially as it's probably worth a lot more than it has cost me to restore it.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
in that case put it back together and give it a spin and if to big , just let them know and keep hold of it yoursel , everbody has at least 3 bikes !!

OP
OP
D

Dave W

in that case put it back together and give it a spin and if to big , just let them know and keep hold of it yoursel , everbody has at least 3 bikes !!

If it doesn't fit I'll end up with 4, then my wife will divorce me.

Top Bottom