Help With Vintage Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
that sounds like a whole new sub forum....

OP
OP
D

Dave W

Thanks again all, made some good progress today with the help of some new tools. BB, chain and cranks have all been removed. Frame and forks have been prepped for spraying (my hands and arms ache) and the undercoat is drying as we speak.

Next job is to overhaul the wheels, they both appear to hold the pressure and are true if a little tatty. The bearings seem a bit rough on the rear so any tips for sorting that would be appreciated plus any others for general wheel/tyre overhaul.

It's coming along nicely and so far the only things beyond repair have been the cables, bonus.

OP
OP
D

Dave W

A couple of pics for you all, if anyone wants a shot of anything specific please let me know.

P.S, excuse the grotty kitchen/workshop.

Frame prior to prepping.

bfc9211d.jpg

Forks prior to prepping.

b4b778f7.jpg

Forks prepped.

f22ac552.jpg

Attachments

• bfc9211d.jpg
    bfc9211d.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 49
  • b4b778f7.jpg
    b4b778f7.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 58
  • f22ac552.jpg
    f22ac552.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 44

pubrunner

Legendary Member
+1
in fact this new vintage section is brilliant. Wasn't it pubrunner who asked for a section like this ages ago, and it was refused on the grounds there wouldn't be enough interest or something?

Yes, Pubrunner & Peanut.

Shame Peanut ain't around anymore :sad: , he'd have loved this new section.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
A couple of pics for you all, if anyone wants a shot of anything specific please let me know.

It seems some GIOS are famed to have these rather unique coin emblems on the fork crown. What does your fork crown look like?

5956747606_7b27a8cb07_b.jpg

You might also want to weigh the forks and the frame before painting, it might assist tubing identification later, and will also help you set target for a built weight if you so wish.

It appears faked GIOS frames were sold over a certain period, see this and elsewhere.

The company also seems to have split into two, seemingly to bypass litigation/liabilities. The brand seems to have such a history and following however that I suspect if you wish you could get help either from the company or people in the owners club to help you with identification.

Is there no marking on the frame/bb shell etc.?

Attachments

• 5956747606_7b27a8cb07_b.jpg
    5956747606_7b27a8cb07_b.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 62

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If you're going for Ergo levers you'll still probably want the down-tube bosses. Campag's standard cable stops with adjusters fit there. As others say, take it slowly and do the research, it would be a pity to spoil a frame of that quality. Good luck.

OP
OP
D

Dave W

It seems some GIOS are famed to have these rather unique coin emblems on the fork crown. What does your fork crown look like?

You might also want to weigh the forks and the frame before painting, it might assist tubing identification later, and will also help you set target for a built weight if you so wish.

It appears faked GIOS frames were sold over a certain period, see this and elsewhere.

The company also seems to have split into two, seemingly to bypass litigation/liabilities. The brand seems to have such a history and following however that I suspect if you wish you could get help either from the company or people in the owners club to help you with identification.

Is there no marking on the frame/bb shell etc.?

It doesn't have those coin type stamps in the fork crown but having done a bit of research some came with them some did not depending on year etc. It has GIOS stamped under the BB and given all the other tell tales (drilled drop outs, seat tube shape, quality campag bits etc) I'd say it's a Gios Torino Super Record. The frame is identical to all those I've seen on my research.

Nice tip about weighing it before painting, sadly I've already put the undercoat on.:rolleyes:

I'm a bit gutted about the saddle because it's in awful nick and would have been nice to keep the original.

If you're going for Ergo levers you'll still probably want the down-tube bosses. Campag's standard cable stops with adjusters fit there. As others say, take it slowly and do the research, it would be a pity to spoil a frame of that quality. Good luck.

Luckily I can't rush anyway because for the most part I haven't got a clue what I'm doing. I haven't had side pull brakes since I was 12.:laugh:

Now some more pics.

Brakes.

18a5391d.jpg

Front mech.

52b7a247.jpg

Rear mech.

f37d00ff.jpg

Forks ready for painting.

61cf3dd9.jpg

Frame ready for painting.

5524cf6c.jpg

Gonna rub the frame and forks down again tomorrow ready to paint then maybe start on the wheels. Back to work Thursday though so she'll have to wait till next week.

Attachments

• 18a5391d.jpg
    18a5391d.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 59
  • 52b7a247.jpg
    52b7a247.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 60
  • f37d00ff.jpg
    f37d00ff.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 61cf3dd9.jpg
    61cf3dd9.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 5524cf6c.jpg
    5524cf6c.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
D

Dave W

Right then, new bearings have now been installed and the wheels cleaned.

The frame has had 2 coats of paint but needs another couple which will have to wait. Not too sure about the colour as I'd like a slightly deeper blue but it's easily remedied with a different colour can for the last couple of coats if I want to change it.

All the other bits except for a few nuts and bolts have been cleaned, only jobs left now are finish the painting, put it back together and tape the bars.

Total cost to get it back on the road will be about £30 (and about 50 hours of work). Quite happy with that.

Front rings and crank.

500d2f49.jpg

Wheels.

02dd45cb.jpg

Casette.

9a931639.jpg

Frame and forks.

607ab0b1.jpg

Finally, the old pedals. Are these worth keeping or should I just chuck em? I only use MTB spd's so have no use for them.

3118c66b.jpg

Attachments

• 500d2f49.jpg
    500d2f49.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 02dd45cb.jpg
    02dd45cb.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 607ab0b1.jpg
    607ab0b1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 9a931639.jpg
    9a931639.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 3118c66b.jpg
    3118c66b.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 59

raindog

er.....
Total cost to get it back on the road will be about £30 (and about 50 hours of work). Quite happy with that.

Finally, the old pedals. Are these worth keeping or should I just chuck em? I only use MTB spd's so have no use for them.
Gorgeous Campag chainset - I've got the same on my old fixed-wheel.

The pedals? Chuck 'em!
Use the make/model you're used to.

Davidc

Guru
The rear mech in the picture looks like the super record I bought s/h and fitted to my bike in the 80s. Very precise and smooth used then with friction DT shifter, and will work well with a wider range freewheel block than the one shown if required.

Loving this thread. You'll have a beautiful comfy bike when you're done restoring it.

OP
OP
D

Dave W

are you enjoying the work that you are doing

Yeah it's nice to have something to do plus I'm learning a hell of a lot as I go. Never thought I'd be able to strip and rebuild a bike but there you go.

Very lucky to get the bike indeed.

Top Bottom