Help with wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jhydemom

I am trying to replace the wheels for my husband on his road bike - he is not an avid rider - just casual. His current wheels are DT Swiss 2.0 ETRTO 622x14. Can I replace them with the 3.0 of the same?

Thanks

Ajax Bay

Guru
I warn you it's not as simple as that. The axle needs to be same (QR/Thru axle/disc or not, over lock nut distance), the freehub needs to be whatever is currently there Shimano/Campagnolo and 10sp or 11sp.
Sorry. Share the link to the 3.0 you're thinking of getting.

Edit: The specs of the 2.0 seem to be:
Specifications
BrandDT Swiss
Model2.0
Size700C
MaterialAluminum
TypeSet (Front & Rear)
Rim TypeClincher
Front Axle Spacing9x100mm
Rear Axle Spacing10x130mm
Rim Inner Width13.8 mm
Rim Outer Width19 mm
Rim Depth23.7 mm
FreehubShimano, 9 / 10
Spoke Count24 / 32
Brake TypeRim
Valve TypePresta
SkewersSkewers Not Included
Very likely many other makes of wheel (622) will be just as satisfactory.
Image of the DT Swiss Axis 3.0:
1716496878987.png

Last edited:

Chislenko

Veteran
As Ajax says, not straightforward at all. Unfortunately bikes like modern cars have very few "standard parts" these days.

Jameshow

Veteran
What a load of information overload!

You need 700c wheelset for rim brakes.

The only thing you need to watch is if it's 11 spd you need a wider free hub which most new wheels will be these days 10 and less you use the supplied spacer.

Something like a Shimano rs100 would suit just fine.

If you want something faster Mavic askium or rs300

Ajax Bay

Guru
I am trying to replace the wheels for my husband on his road bike - he is not an avid rider - just casual. His current wheels are DT Swiss 2.0 ETRTO 622x14. Can I replace them with the 3.0 of the same?
James "What a load of information overload!" - the OP asked a straight question and I sought to reply. The OP implied they had little knowledge so I sought to list the criteria which might vary. It took (me) time to find the specs for the 2.0.
The OP did not ask for recommendations as to what wheels might fit: but thank you for suggesting a few. A 8/9/10sp freehub (rather than 11sp) like the 2.0 would be preferable imho to keep dishing to a minimum.
I didn't rabbit off on the very narrow width of these wheel rims (13.5mm and I think the 3.0s are the same) nor did I enquire why the wheels need replacing.
Note the OP's 'husband' is a casual rider so your suggestion of the RS100s (£155 at Hal fords) with their low spoke count (20/24) do rely on him being on the light side of casual.

macmanpapi

James "What a load of information overload!" - the OP asked a straight question and I sought to reply. The OP implied they had little knowledge so I sought to list the criteria which might vary. It took (me) time to find the specs for the 2.0.
The OP did not ask for recommendations as to what wheels might fit: but thank you for suggesting a few. A 8/9/10sp freehub (rather than 11sp) like the 2.0 would be preferable imho to keep dishing to a minimum.
I didn't rabbit off on the very narrow width of these wheel rims (13.5mm and I think the 3.0s are the same) nor did I enquire why the wheels need replacing.
Note the OP's 'husband' is a casual rider so your suggestion of the RS100s (£155 at Hal fords) with their low spoke count (20/24) do rely on him being on the light side of casual.

we make too much of this for someone new and we have no clue, Like its a Wheel that needs to be 29/700c that's it aside from that its a Cherry on top

Ajax Bay

Guru
we make too much of this for someone new and we have no clue, Like its a Wheel that needs to be 29/700c that's it aside from that its a Cherry on top
Sure and after describing the variables, I said:
Very likely many other makes of wheel (622) will be just as satisfactory (as the 3.0 he/she asked about)

Chislenko

Veteran
Have to say I think Ajax is right to show caution.

The lady could have gone out and splashed out a couple of hundred quid on something not fit for purpose.

A nice suprise for her bloke but could turn out to be a waste of money if she had bought incorrectly.

I am minded of all my years in the motor trade when customers would use the well worn phrase " why do you need the chassis number, they are all the same"

Top Bottom