Helping nephew out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
1592047546841.png

Popped around to help nephew out as he had bought a barracuda road bike and was having trouble with the gears since he had mended a puncture......
Anyway he had used a socket set to tighten the bolts for the back wheel so the bolts wer rounded off and crushing the bearings .Once o managed to get them off to see if the wheel was seated right before i started fiddling with the adjusters i noticed the rear mech was bent which was catching the spokes in the lowest gear . The mech hanger is built into the frame so i discounted that as it looked straight .
The RD had a lot of play in it even after i had tigthend the bolt holding it to the frame including being bent , i di dmanage to pull it out a bit but the play was still bad :sad: , it did not have a B screw either and the H/L screws were mile out.
While i was at iti took the wheel out to see if the frame was worth upgrading as i have a few spares i could fix it , measured the drop outs at 135 mm so hybrid / mtb wheel width which i thought odd.
It also has twist grip shifters which as we know are a PITA to index.

I did my best but told him basically to put in on ebay as it want worth spending the money to fix it as he is back at work soon so i doubt he will ride it and TBH the amount of money you would have to spend to get it half decent wouldn't be economical .

gbb

Legendary Member
Well done for trying...and cheap bikes are trying, I hate working on them, everything on them is just so cr@p.

Top Bottom