Helping to dispel a few common misconceptions about Africa (with a dash of sarcasm)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
One day we went out for a game drive in an open topped minivan, hoping to catch sight of the big five.

We went to Africa for our honeymoon. On one of the safari outings the other couple had seen the big five and anything else you cared to mention. They were rather boorish. The driver / guide dropped them at their lodge leaving just the two of us in the land rover. Once they were out of earshot. he asked if we’d like a close encounter with some Rhino’s. We got so close you could almost touch them, it was magical.

A very good friend of mine is a Zimbabwean, and I remember in the UK when an older English lady went up to him and asked "I suppose you all live in mud huts where you come from?". He nodded gravely and said, "of course".

As he said afterwards, it was easier then trying to explain that he lived in a normal house and ran a college accreditation department. He claimed to have convinced another tourist that he ate snakes for breakfast and went to school on an elephant.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A very good friend of mine is a Zimbabwean, and I remember in the UK when an older English lady went up to him and asked "I suppose you all live in mud huts where you come from?". He nodded gravely and said, "of course".
I'm sure many Africans have similar stories. When I was in the UK I took my wife to a party and she was asked, again by an older lady:, ' Did you have any trouble getting into the country?'.

PK99

Legendary Member
My late Sister in Law in Zimbabwe was from a 6-generation White South African farming family.

Did she and, and do her grand children, and their children qualify as African in this discussion?

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm sure many Africans have similar stories. When I was in the UK I took my wife to a party and she was asked, again by an older lady:, ' Did you have any trouble getting into the country?'.

My late mum would have said something equally daft. Born in 1930, they had a completely different landscape to live in and she could say quite outrageous things, not with malice, just a young life spent among people with attitudes that seem a world away from ours.
She had a walk in robbery some years ago in her 80s and went to the police station to look through photos of criminals. As a page turned and she saw a Caribbean man in the photo, she looked and said to the copper...oh no, it wasn't a (insert mildly racial stereotype)
The copper lowered and shook his head with a sigh of resignation. I looked across, raised my shoulders and half smiled.
We talked after, the copper said we see it often, a different generation, not malicious, just from different times.

Top Bottom