Herbert Protocol for missing persons.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
My mum [89] has age-related dementia and has no short term memory now, but is physically fit, takes care of herself and is remarkably capable for her age so her doctor doesn't consider she is 'at risk'.

She went for a walk and got lost a few weeks ago- she was unable to find her way home again and was found by a very kind lady who asked her if she was OK. Mum is very good at hiding her confusion but the lady wasn't sure and called the Police. The Police Community officer was fantastic and persuaded mum to be taken home but by this time mum couldn't remember her address. They put her picture on Facebook and by chance a friend spotted it and rang me. I rang the constable back and met them at her house. So all turned out well... she's now on the Police Register in case she does another walk-about.

As part of the back-up support, this morning the constable brought a copy of the Herbert Protocol, which is a very thorough form to complete so that a next of kin or carer of a person, thought to be at risk of going missing, can complete contact and identification details. If mum did go missing again the Police have all the information in one handy reference, including a recent photo, home address, current medication, family contact addresses and phone numbers, favourite or familiar places to check, memory triggers etc.

I can recommend getting a copy to complete if you have anyone who may be vulnerable.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/calderdale...test-news/articles/2018/the-herbert-protocol/

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thanks Archie, that's useful to know about. I'm glad your mum was returned without any harm coming to her and it does restore some faith in humanity when people help out like that.

Pa Bollo now has reasonably advanced Alzheimer's at the age of only 74. Like your mum he's physically fit (he was playing football into his early 60s) so if he was able to make a run for it he could end up anywhere. His ability to communicate is severely limited so even if the feds picked him up they'd probably just think he was off his face on drink and/or drugs given his relatively young age and the severity of his illness. There's not a chance that he could tell them where he lived, or even give them his or anyone else's name.

My parents are trying to move closer to me so I can support my mum and we've looked at various tech to tag him, but something like this would also provide some extra reassurance. I might see what Hants dibble support in the way of escaped daft greyheads.

Have you thought about Apple Air Tags ? Easy enough to attach to a coat or put in a handbag. Any iphone that passes the tag can report the location.
There was an old lady who died of exposure only about 100 feet from a very popular bikepath not so long ago round here. They tracked her movements as part of a TV documentary - the police went to great lengths but they couldn't find her in time. I'm sure the airtags would have helped the search.

OP
OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

Have you thought about Apple Air Tags ? Easy enough to attach to a coat or put in a handbag. Any iphone that passes the tag can report the location.
There was an old lady who died of exposure only about 100 feet from a very popular bikepath not so long ago round here. They tracked her movements as part of a TV documentary - the police went to great lengths but they couldn't find her in time. I'm sure the airtags would have helped the search.
What a simple but effective idea! - mind you getting my mum to leave an attached tag alone would be the big issue- she constantly changes which coat/ bag/ keys she wants to use... I'd need about 10 of them! I got her a necklace fob which connects to her HA's call centre in case she ever needs help or falls but she refuses to wear it!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
An elderly aunt of mine used to go walkabout in her latter years.

Embarrassingly, her habit was to do so wearing little or no clothing.

At least it meant the first (decent) person she came across would likely raise the alarm.

The area was South Hams in Devon, and on one occasion she sparked a cliff rescue, although as far as anyone could tell she had not fallen to where she was found.

The rescuers remarked it would have been difficult for a fit and active person to reach the ledge she was on, let alone a semi-naked pensioner.

I think we worked out she'd played a lot in the area as a child, so may have had good knowledge of it in the deep recesses of her mind.

OP
OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

Mum's childhood memories are particularly vivid too... thankfully she lives 100 miles from anywhere familiar to hopefully prevent her setting off on an adventure.

We have problems with FIL who has a mobile so that when he goes out he can be contacted, and has an ICE contact on him, but rarely carries it with him. That assumes it is actually charged, of course.

Flippancy alert!! A whimsical part of me wonders if one could get the loved one chipped, like a pet, so they can be identified. Of course, there's also the reassurance that after three jabs they should be easily traceable anyway :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

We have problems with FIL who has a mobile so that when he goes out he can be contacted, and has an ICE contact on him, but rarely carries it with him. That assumes it is actually charged, of course.

Flippancy alert!! A whimsical part of me wonders if one could get the loved one chipped, like a pet, so they can be identified. Of course, there's also the reassurance that after three jabs they should be easily traceable anyway :rolleyes:
I'd happily have a pet chip so that when I no longer know who/where I am in future years I can nip into Tescos to be reminded.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro

Considering I dumped the phrase "escaped daft greyheads" in my post I'm not averse to a little flippancy. And yes we have thought about chipping him :biggrin: .

What a simple but effective idea! - mind you getting my mum to leave an attached tag alone would be the big issue- she constantly changes which coat/ bag/ keys she wants to use... I'd need about 10 of them! I got her a necklace fob which connects to her HA's call centre in case she ever needs help or falls but she refuses to wear it!
You can get wristbands for them. If you could persuade her to keep that one on. But maybe another pendant if she's used to that.

OP
OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

You can get wristbands for them. If you could persuade her to keep that one on. But maybe another pendant if she's used to that.
Mum, like most people with memory loss, has issues with keeping things where they should be, she'd prefer to 'put things away for safe-keeping' and then forgets what things are or why they are needed.

classic33

Leg End Member

There was a thread on this...
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/implants.268835/#post-6199564

Top Bottom