Here's what I ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stewlewis

Nothing amazing, entry level bikes.
I think I enjoy cycles as much as cycling, I still need to rebuild my GT BMX. Would like a road bike, a single speed hybrid project, a retro MTB to join the RetroBike forums, and maybe an original Raleigh Burner because it was my first proper bike.

Mongoose Tyax Elite, entry level MTB, bought a couple of years ago.
My first bike in 20 years. Added bar ends, semi slick tyres, bottles and cages. This bike just fits and I find it comfortable to ride. I rode about 50mile on the original knobblies and enjoyed it all. Prestatyn to LLandudno on the coast cycle path.

Giant Box One, bought from a friend. I have yet to ride anywhere to warrant the bike. My first full suspension bike, I have no idea how much of it is original.

Dawes Discovery 401, an Ebay purchase. I wanted something a bit quicker for the streets. It is, it's a decent ride but I know now I should have gone fully road. Suspension forks and disc brakes just aren't needed and are heavy.

Thanks for reading,
Stew.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
nothing wrong with entry level bikes :becool: too many people insist on everyone "needing" the best bikes when in my opinion it's the rider that counts.

i bought my two bikes in a two year period that saw me on a four day week and get laid off twice :biggrin: i didn't have a lot of money to spend, but i got what i could, I'm back on the road, I'm getting fit again and i've lost 1.5 stone.

don't knock entry level bikes ;)

OP
OP
S

stewlewis

Wow 1.5 stone, that's great going. Fitness level and lost weight makes up for many hundreds of pounds that some folks spend on a bike. I have no desire to lose weight but god I'm unfit.

The way I see it as long as the frame is sound and the right size any entry level bits can be upgraded as or when they wear out.

I have no doubt expensive bikes are smooth and light and certainly look great, but when the riders of expensive bikes are behind me I don't really care.

stewlewis said:
I have no doubt expensive bikes are smooth and light and certainly look great, but when the riders of expensive bikes are behind me I don't really care.

Good for you mate ... enjoy your cycling

But i'm really not sure about those white tyres on the Mongoose though

Simon

OP
OP
S

stewlewis

Ah, the white ones came on the Giant, 2nd hand bike. God knows why he had semi slick Halo TwinRails on a freeride bike.

I've been using the Mongoose while out with a couple of friends who are just starting cycling, on really quiet roads and old railway trails, no need for the knobblies and if I took the skinny Dawes it wouldn't be fair on them.

They'll probably end up on a cheap as chips retro single speed MTB I'm hoping to build.

Top Bottom