Herne Hill Track Bike sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red17

Veteran
Aparently Herne Hill veoldrome are selling off their track bikes this weekend.

I'm tempted although I would probably prefer to change one to single speed for road use - any idea how easy that would be?

hernehillvelodrome

We are selling off the entire hire bike fleet on the weekend of 28 & 29th January. 10am - 4pm both days in the container area at HHV. £100 per bike, card payments only, first come first served, no reservations and we can't hold bikes. These bikes have been in service at HHV for a decade, and some longer, so this is your chance to own a piece of HHV history!⁠

Approx 80 track bikes, sizes 49/52/54/56/58/61. Steel & Aluminium Fuji frames, various colours/styles, various handlebar sizes. Sold as seen (they are regularly maintained by a team of volunteers, so whilst they are rideable and in relatively good nick, they are certainly well-used so please check the bike thoroughly for any issues before taking it away as we can't accept returns). Sold without pedals or saddles. Forks are drilled, please stick a front brake on if you want to ride it away.⁠

There's also a sample sale from QUOC, Universal Colours, Temple Cycles & Raw Velo in the clubhouse that weekend, and a Cyclocross race on Sunday 29th. A great weekend to visit HHV!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Aparently Herne Hill veoldrome are selling off their track bikes this weekend.

I'm tempted although I would probably prefer to change one to single speed for road use - any idea how easy that would be?

Might not have mounting point for a rear brake- you'd have to see. Could use a coaster brake (or one of those two-speed coaster brake hubs- slight backpedal to change ratios)

Fujis often have drillings for rear brakes so chances are it'll be easy.

Sharky

Guru
As suggested above, add a front brake, pedals and a saddle and you can ride them away.

My avatar photo is of a Mercian track frame. I converted this to a 2x5 transmission. I just used a hand drill to drill a hole through the rear bridge and added a rear brake and simplex gears. No brazed on fittings, so a lot of black tape to hold the cables in place. Rear wheels were 126mm in those days and I could just squeeze a road wheel in. It had track ends and the gear hanger was just held in place by the QR. A bit messy when I punctured, as everything fell apart when I took the wheel off.

Best bike I ever had and have never beaten the PB's I did on it all those years ago.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I wonder why? Cash flow problems?

The velodrome is not far from where I live so I was tempted for a couple of seconds by the lure of a bargain. But then I realised I have no use for a track bike:laugh:

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Would still be cool to own one though.

Shut up. :laugh:

I don't have space. I've only ridden fixed once, when I was about 15. I've no desire to ride fixed. I don't need one. Stop trying to make me go and buy one.:smile:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Shut up. :laugh:

I don't have space. I've only ridden fixed once, when I was about 15. I've no desire to ride fixed. I don't need one. Stop trying to make me go and buy one.:smile:

Riding fixed ... did it last night track racing. Also, there's grasstrack. Or simply flat-ish riding with a front brake.

Fixies are quite useful ... :whistle:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Phew, I just double checked the OP and the sale was last weekend. So I missed my chance of spending money a cool but utterly pointless bike. :biggrin:

Top Bottom