Herne Hill Track Bike sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Thank goodness I missed this! I've only got six bikes at the moment, including a SS/fixed.

Sharky

Guru
Why would you want a rear brake on a fixie - always thought they had a front brake ?

For UK road usage, you just need two methods of stopping. A front brake is the first and best. With a fixed, as long as you have a lock ring on, this is an acceptable backup to the front brake. But should you snap the front brake cable, when descending at over 20 mph, reliance on legs alone is not very good and therefore a rear brake is a good option.

Sharky

Guru
Why would you want a rear brake on a fixie - always thought they had a front brake ?

A couple of other considerations.
- for road usage and drop bars, it's good to have levers on both sides, to give balanced holding options.
- some riders will be riding flip/flop rear wheels and if switching to the freewheel side, then you do need a 2nd brake option. So setting up a bike with two brakes in the first place, makes sense.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Much better having two sets of brakes - I did a lot of hilly rides on my fixed and it was nice to be able to drag the brake a bit to keep the legs from unscrewing. They are perfect for winter.

For my commute I rode fixed for many years- just front brake*, it was a predictable, gently undulating ride. For hilly rides- and touring on one occasion- I liked having a rear brake very much.

*once I arrived at a junction near work one Monday morning and applied the front brake to reposition the pedals and the lever just flopped straight down onto the bar- I had cleaned the rim on Sunday and had not re-hooked the brake noodle. I got quite used to using just leg braking in most situations.

Top Bottom