Hernia mesh concerns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill Gates

I've been offered an operation for a double hernia and the procedure includes placing a mesh over the open hernia. Then they use sutures, tacks or surgical glue to hold the mesh in place. Over time, the tissue should grow into the small pores in the mesh and strengthen the muscle wall. This creates scar tissue that strengthens the hernia site. Most mesh repairs are permanent, meaning the implant remains in the body for the rest of the patient’s life.

Now the problem is potential side effects that no one told me about at the hospital. Nearly one-third of people who undergo hernia surgeries experience some sort of complication, with excessive pain being the most frequent complaint, according to one study.

Up to 170 000 patients who have had hernia mesh operations in the past six years could be experiencing complications, yet NHS trusts in England have no consistent policy for treatment or follow-up with patients.

Around 570 0000 hernia mesh operations have taken place in England over the past six years, figures from NHS Digital show. Leading surgeons think that the complication rate is between 12% and 30%, meaning that between 68 000 and 170 000 patients could have been adversely affected in this period.

Patients who had had hernia mesh operations told the programme about being in constant pain, unable to sleep, and finding it difficult to walk or even pick up a sock. Some patients said that they felt suicidal.

When I phoned the hospital to discuss this with the surgeon he postponed the operation and gave me another consultative appointment. I cancelled this and have withdrawn from the waiting list. The hernia causes me no discomfort or pain so I'm going to see how it goes.

Anyone had this operation and if so, how's it going?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
This problem has been in the news quite a lot over the last couple of years. If it works, it works well however if it gods wrong then the results can leave the sufferer in agony and literally leaves them disabled. This applies to a lot of women , I'm not sure how it affects men to.be honest.

I was under the impression that treating conditions that require the use of mesh should be not undertaken if it is at all possible. There is an alternative operation however surgeons prefer the mesh method as it is a relatively quick and cheap operation.

Personally I would never have it implanted. However I think you would be better of getting some independent advise. A second opinion might be the way to go.

On the other hand, if it aint broke then I wouldn't fix it either..I'd leave well alone. :okay:

Rocky

Hello decadence
I've not had this surgery but there is a Cochrane Review on it. These reviews bring together a range of researchand draw conclusions from these multiple studies. I'm not sure how familiar you are with medical statistics but here is the link:

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD011517.pub2/full

The abstract, as you can probably see, concludes: Mesh and non‐mesh repairs are effective surgical approaches in treating hernias, each demonstrating benefits in different areas. Compared to non‐mesh repairs, mesh repairs probably reduce the rate of hernia recurrence, and reduce visceral or neurovascular injuries, making mesh repair a common repair approach. Mesh repairs may result in a reduced length of hospital stay and time to return to activities of daily living, but these results are uncertain due to variation in the results of the studies. Non‐mesh repair is less likely to cause seroma formation and has been favoured in low‐income countries due to low cost and reduced availability of mesh materials.

The findings are summarised as: hernias are out-pouchings of an organ through the body wall that normally contains it; in this review, we refer to the bowel or its surrounding fatty tissues protruding through the abdominal wall in the groin region. This is a very common medical problem, affecting 27 out of every 100 men. These hernias can cause significant discomfort, and can occasionally become so tightly stuck that the blood supply can be cut off (strangulation), requiring emergency surgery. The curative treatment of hernias is surgical repair, which can be closed with sutured techniques (non-mesh repair) or with a fine mesh to promote tissuegrowth to strengthen the previously weak area (mesh repair). Mesh repair is becoming increasingly popular in many countries, particularly in conjunction with laparoscopic (key-hole) surgery.

That would suggest that you will be fine but it is worth discussing with your GP, who should be able to interpret this review and make the appropriate re-referral.

(BTW I'm not clinically qualified - I'm a social scientist.........and we all know how much use they are).

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Medical science is always evolving and if there are know problems then I'm sure it will come up with a better alternative in the fullness of time.
If it isn't giving you any discomfort I think the thing to do is hang on and watch developments. The complications rate is not very encouraging. I know someone who did have the operation and he had no ongoing problems.
I just hope things work out for you.

vickster

Legendary Member
This problem has been in the news quite a lot over the last couple of years. If it works, it works well however if it gods wrong then the results can leave the sufferer in agony and literally leaves them disabled. This applies to a lot of women , I'm not sure how it affects men to.be honest.

I was under the impression that treating conditions that require the use of mesh should be not undertaken if it is at all possible. There is an alternative operation however surgeons prefer the mesh method as it is a relatively quick and cheap operation.

Personally I would never have it implanted. However I think you would be better of getting some independent advise. A second opinion might be the way to go.

On the other hand, if it aint broke then I wouldn't fix it either..I'd leave well alone. :okay:
I believe that the issue with women Is that the mesh developed for hernia was used for vaginal prolapse without undergoing further clinical trials

@Bill Gates maybe get a second opinion, privately if needed and take it from there. However, surgery should always be a last resort so if you have no symptoms, pain and it affects you not a jot, then stay away from the knife!
Look for hernia on here via the search function as there have been numerous posts over the years. Bearing in mind there are different types of hernia

lane

Veteran
Had a hernia mesh repair in the early 90s. My hernia was a significant problem and preventing me doing activities. I have had no issues and no recurance. I guess it is balance of risk but in the same circumstances I would not hesitate. My understanding is that mesh makes recurance less likely which I would rate as important.

tom73

Guru
Mrs 73 has seen and looked after many a hernia over the years inc pre and post op.
She’s never known anyone have an issue with mesh repair.
She too can’t see an issue of leaving it be if it’s not an issue.
Just keep an eye on it if in doubt see your GP.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

There is a class action in the USA over this mesh.

https://www.classaction.com/hernia-mesh/lawsuit/

JohnHughes307

Über Member
I had an umbilical hernia repaired with mesh about 12 years ago. That was private as my job gave me BUPA cover at the time. It worked but a number of medical professionals have remarked in the size of the scar and there is still one place (actually I side my navel 😲) where there is a sharp bit of mesh poking me and it is sometimes quite painful.

I have had the operation. It was a walk in and hobble out done under a local anesthetic .
I have had no problems as such from the mesh apart from a bit of a pulling type niggle which has now gone .
What I did have a problem with was blood draining down into my scrotum! :ohmy:
It was agony! I went to my hospital and saw a female doctor who didn't know what to do apart from suggesting paracetamol.
I spent the next week walking around like John Wayne with my bits the size of a small melon, coloured a blackish purple covered in a damp flannel.
I think they now mention to patients that this can happen as one of the side effects.
My friend had the same operation a month later and was fine with no side effects .

Top Bottom