Hernia mesh concerns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
My friend had a mesh one and that burst open, they re-done it and removed his belly button for a better fit or something, he did have a fair bit of time off but its fine now with no pain.
Couple of years now

Proto

Legendary Member
Yes, I’ve had an inguinal hernia repair with a mesh insert. Not a perfect result but satisfactory, and no ongoing pain.

My third repair, approx ten years ago. I first had my left side repaired nearly 40 years ago (I blame some heavy duty military lorry batteries). It failed again many years later and surgical team suggested a repair with mesh. Fairly sure I stayed in one night, home next day.

Everything went well, my only complaint is the groin has remained very slightly swollen, and there is some very minor numbness in the area of the incision. I’ve never had any pain, though, so I’m happy enough with the result.

edit: NHS, Churchill Hospital, Oxford.

Last edited:
I've been offered an operation for a double hernia and the procedure includes placing a mesh over the open hernia. Then they use sutures, tacks or surgical glue to hold the mesh in place. Over time, the tissue should grow into the small pores in the mesh and strengthen the muscle wall. This creates scar tissue that strengthens the hernia site. Most mesh repairs are permanent, meaning the implant remains in the body for the rest of the patient’s life.

Now the problem is potential side effects that no one told me about at the hospital. Nearly one-third of people who undergo hernia surgeries experience some sort of complication, with excessive pain being the most frequent complaint, according to one study.

Up to 170 000 patients who have had hernia mesh operations in the past six years could be experiencing complications, yet NHS trusts in England have no consistent policy for treatment or follow-up with patients.

Around 570 0000 hernia mesh operations have taken place in England over the past six years, figures from NHS Digital show. Leading surgeons think that the complication rate is between 12% and 30%, meaning that between 68 000 and 170 000 patients could have been adversely affected in this period.

Patients who had had hernia mesh operations told the programme about being in constant pain, unable to sleep, and finding it difficult to walk or even pick up a sock. Some patients said that they felt suicidal.

When I phoned the hospital to discuss this with the surgeon he postponed the operation and gave me another consultative appointment. I cancelled this and have withdrawn from the waiting list. The hernia causes me no discomfort or pain so I'm going to see how it goes.

Anyone had this operation and if so, how's it going?

I had this op in the UK in 1999 after an 18 month wait. It didn't hurt too much but failed a year later and I had to have a repeat in Germany. It took ten days, was repaired with nylon stitching and I haven't had a squeak since.

Thankfully I wasn't a resident in Germany so the NHS had to pay for their own mess.

CXRAndy

Guru
Had a hernia mesh repair in the early 90s. My hernia was a significant problem and preventing me doing activities. I have had no issues and no recurrence. I guess it is balance of risk but in the same circumstances I would not hesitate. My understanding is that mesh makes recurrence less likely which I would rate as important.

I had a mesh umbilical hernia repair late 90's. It was uncomfortable for a bit, but the repair was successful. Keeping weight under control to lower visceral fat helps with abdomen hernias

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have had two hernia ops. in the last six years, both with mesh. There have been no side effects apart from an issue mentioned by another poster with the second op. I was also doing the John Wayne walk with spectacular bruising. I went to our local A&E and got a consultant who seemed to know about this side effect and reassured me that the colouration would go away gradually. She also agreed with my observation that it would be a good idea to warn patients about this side effect which is apparently not uncommon.

Mesh repair no side effects - although it did give me grief for about a year if I over did it in the gym - go for it - especially as they are trying to stop doing these on the NHS - wait and you could end up having to pay.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I had a double groin hernia done 30+ years ago. Surgeon told me to have one then go for the 2nd one 12 weeks later........but I didnt listen.
I was in serious pain for 4 weeks, off work for 6 weeks. Took 12 months before I was comfortable but no problems since.
Mine was two BIG cuts but I believe its all micro now ???

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had my 'big' hernia done in July 2017 and the smaller one done about 6 months later. The big one got so big and bad i had to have it done,after 10 long years of putting it off. I had some burning sensation 2 days later which was very painful and worrying as i had a panic thinking i had internal bleeding or something. I went back to the hospital the following day and they checked me over and said it was just post op' pain. I had the smaller one done and it was painless. I use the 'ab crunch' machine at the gym. I haven't had any problems with the straining of the muscles around that area. I'd recommend having it done.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I had mine done around 1999, just one side. After the initial discomfort of the operation (around 2 weeks) it hasn’t given me a moment’s problem since. In fact I usually forget I have had it done - even the scar is largely invisible.

I had a double groin hernia done 30+ years ago. Surgeon told me to have one then go for the 2nd one 12 weeks later........but I didnt listen.
I was in serious pain for 4 weeks, off work for 6 weeks. Took 12 months before I was comfortable but no problems since.
Mine was two BIG cuts but I believe its all micro now ???
Theres open or micro (laparoscopic or something) - I was told there wasn't much in it in terms of post op recovery. although labro in less invasive they are "in there" longer.
I had open with Mesh - sure it was pretty painful for a week - then took it easy for a few weeks after that. Its very basic surgery - if it needs doing get it done.

Enigma2008

Über Member
I was diagnosed with a rh hernia just over two years ago. Have to say mine was troublesome, bulging and giving me significant pain when standing. The surgeon described the operation and use of mesh, have to say I just accepted the process and it's use as the norm.
In and out in a morning, on the turbo eight days later. It's now two years and I've not experienced any discomfort whatsoever. I've trained and raced in the TT position many times since, no issues at all.
Glad I had it done though we're all different and react differently. Best wishes to anyone in need of the op and season's greeting to all.

Thread revival...You're spot on, had mine done last Tuesday for £3200+200 for consultation. At least it's one less patient for the NHS :okay:

There goes the new bike :angry:

Get well soon.

Just a tip: be careful who you hang out with over the next couple of weeks. I went on a train trip with several very good friends about a month after the OP and laughed so much I had to go to the bog and check I hadn't broken the stitching...

Top Bottom