Hernia Op

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
:bicycle:i need an op on my hernia and I'm thinking wise time would be December as my diet usually goes out the window and crap weather , so I think good time.
So need some advice from anyone had the op because I desperately do t want to put on too much weight.
Once you had the op, how soon before can do any form of exercise ?
How long roughly till can ramp it up a bit ?
Did you follow any kind of diet to keep from putting on too much weight ?
Any info or help much appreciated

vickster

Legendary Member
Did you have a look through prior posts?

https://www.cyclechat.net/search/10135855/?q=Hernia&t=post&o=relevance&c[node]=36+140

What sort of hernia?

Regarding getting back to exercise, discuss with your surgeon

Regarding putting on weight, surely that's a very individual thing and for you to figure out?

screenman

Legendary Member
I would be straight down to The British Hernia Clinic, I was on the turbo in 3 days and a club 10 in 14. Not everyone is the same of course but these guys know sports people and have repaired hundreds.

Bodhbh

Guru
:bicycle:i need an op on my hernia and I'm thinking wise time would be December as my diet usually goes out the window and crap weather , so I think good time.
So need some advice from anyone had the op because I desperately do t want to put on too much weight.
Once you had the op, how soon before can do any form of exercise ?
How long roughly till can ramp it up a bit ?
Did you follow any kind of diet to keep from putting on too much weight ?
Any info or help much appreciated

I don't think you're going to get much useful info to your own situation and will have to play it by ear. I've had 2 hernia ops - the same on paper - but had 2 completely different post-op experiences. The first it was hard to even push open a door for a couple of weeks and I was in total agony sitting up/going to the loo/etc for a few days, it took a year or more to calm down altogether. The latter one, I walked a couple of miles the day after and was lugging home 15kg of shopping the same week - I didn't try to rush or bother getting on a bike for a couple of months after however....and put on about 12kg. I think with these things you need to go with the flow.

screenman

Legendary Member
I don't think you're going to get much useful info to your own situation and will have to play it by ear. I've had 2 hernia ops - the same on paper - but had 2 completely different post-op experiences. The first it was hard to even push open a door for a couple of weeks and I was in total agony sitting up/going to the loo/etc for a few days, it took a year or more to calm down altogether. The latter one, I walked a couple of miles the day after and was lugging home 15kg of shopping the same week - I didn't try to rush or bother getting on a bike for a couple of months after however....and put on about 12kg. I think with these things you need to go with the flow.

How many years apart were the ops and when did you have the last one?

Bodhbh

Guru
How many years apart were the ops and when did you have the last one?

The first was somewhere in the late 90s, the latter about 20years later - both mesh repairs, the later to fix the first one coming undone. Regarding your comment about the hernia clinic, this is something I would not count pennies on so go to whoever will do the best job and get it out the way fastest.

OP
OP
Fonze

Fonze

I have private health care.
Male
Groin hernia on my left side, gobstopper size right now.
I wear hernia shorts when I cycle to try cope with any pain and protect as best I can the injury

As has been said above the outcomes can be different. I was walking around like John Wayne in agony for two weeks afterwards whereas my friend was working in his garage the next day.

When I moved to Lincolnshire I happen to mention to my doctor that a French surgeon had told me that I had a hernia shortly before going into hospital for a hip opp. Quite amazingly in only 8 days I had a meeting with the lead general surgeon at the Lincoln University Hospital who set up a special hernia clinic (in Gainsborough) 14 years ago with the promise that no one would have to wait more than 14 days for their opp., and so it proved to be, I had my opp. only 5 days later.
My hernia was in my lower groin area close to my left hip.
The opp. was carried out with only local anaesthetic, so I walked into the surgery and walked out again only 25 mins. later!

I was doing light exercise the following day and was back on my bike within a week and had absolutely no pain.

As for any weight problem Fonze, only you are in control of that, eat a well controlled and healthy diet with no white bread, no sugar, lots of vegetables and salads, no excessive amounts of fat and even though you might not be able to ride your bike, then at least you can walk and by walking I mean WALKING where you walk as fast as you can.

Good luck.

screenman

Legendary Member
The first was somewhere in the late 90s, the latter about 20years later - both mesh repairs, the later to fix the first one coming undone. Regarding your comment about the hernia clinic, this is something I would not count pennies on so go to whoever will do the best job and get it out the way fastest.

Mine cost £900 twenty++ years ago, this using the mesh method that the nhs had not heard of at the time.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have private health care.
Male
Groin hernia on my left side, gobstopper size right now.
I wear hernia shorts when I cycle to try cope with any pain and protect as best I can the injury

Get it fixed tomorrow, why are you messing with something so dangerous.

OP
OP
Fonze

Fonze

I work away so not that simple.
I had a two month wait just to see my GP, who then said it could take three months for surgery.
I have private health care and going through the process.

Top Bottom