Hex key set - recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Ball end are fine, indeed very useful at times but....avoid REALLY hankering on them if the screw is siezed, I have broken ball end ones in those circumstances, but I have been abusing them when that happens. (Ring spanner on one end to get more leverage)

wonderloaf

Veteran
Fight, Fight, Fight :boxing::boxing::laugh:
1574964207439.png

Reactions: gbb

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Given top makes like bondus or facom are cheap enough for allen keys this isn't somewhere where I'd bother to skimp. OK some cheap ones might be OK, but some likely are not. Even for occasional home use cheap tools are usually not a bargain

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Don't buy any from TKMaxx... I did and the 8mm key wouldn't fit into an 8mm bolt, which was the one key I'd bought the (extra long handle) set for. I later discovered that the 3mm key was slightly too big as well. :thumbsdown:

Reactions: gbb

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Given top makes like bondus or facom are cheap enough for allen keys this isn't somewhere where I'd bother to skimp. OK some cheap ones might be OK, but some likely are not. Even for occasional home use cheap tools are usually not a bargain
I buy tools for life. Much of my stuff was acquired during the early seventies and is still in perfect condition despite years of use and occasional mis-use. Good quality pays in the long run, cheap stuff is cheap for a reason.

keithmac

Guru
This multi key set is our go to for 90% of all the stuff me and my son do with the bikes, need to find one for him if they still make them!.

I have a set of MAC Tools 3/8th drive allen keys for the bigger stuff, these are the best I've ever used, "sharp" durable ends and very snug fit. Owned them 15 years or more (should have bought a spare set..).

20191128_202014.jpg

20191128_202043.jpg

20191128_203049.jpg

Last edited:

Broadside

Guru
The only set of tools that I have that is still complete, with all the bits in the right place, is my hex key set. From Wickes. Probably only cost a tenner or less knowing Wickes.

I also used to have one of those Y shaped three way keys with common sizes (4,5,6mm???) which was really useful. I don't know where it is now. It will probably turn up again one day.
As well as a few sets of Allen keys in toolboxes I keep a Y shaped one on the garage door and another in the car door so there is always one nearby. The Y shaped ones are really handy to have around because they fit most bits on the bike.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I buy tools for life. Much of my stuff was acquired during the early seventies and is still in perfect condition despite years of use and occasional mis-use. Good quality pays in the long run, cheap stuff is cheap for a reason.

Whilst I broadly agree, that said, I have had the odd bargain. I have a couple of really superb socket headed spanners. They don't even have a brand-name and are merely stamped with the rather unpromising country if origin - India, but they are superb quality and have stood up to a lot of hard use. It is unlikely I would even risk such a purchase now as you do tend to get what you pay for. My cheapskate father has never grasped that if you pay a fiver for a set of spanners you have simply wasted a fiver - but if you pay a fiver for one spanner, then you now own a spanner - mostly at any rate. I'm told that Draper is OK these days but back in the day I recall countersink bits which didn't cut, pozi screwdrivers that simply didn't work and a ratchet spanner that worked once only - so I only buy top brands now.

One piece of advice is to avoid Festool power tools. I bought one of their sanders in all innocence, and it cost me a couple of grand once I'd subsequently bought a couple of saws and a few more sanders and some accessories, and a hoover !

Top Bottom