Hex key set - recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Stompier

Stompier

I have some rather nice Facom t handled hex keys that I bought individually for the most common sizes, to cover everything else I have a set of Teng's. To be honest on a bike, you probably don't need the highest of quality, but I would stay away from the really cheap, made of cheese ones and also try and avoid using a ball end if you can help it.

Teng and Wera both at Screwfix, so I will make the trip a bit later.

Agreed that in general, pretty much anything will do for occasional use. However, these are for track use, where stems, bars and - in particular - chain rings can get swapped several times per session. So the chain ring bolts themselves can quickly lose their edges if the hex keys are poor quality. They will wear anyway, but at least the rate will be lower with a decent set.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I got a Wera set, they've been pretty good. Seem to be friendly to bolt heads.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have a Bondhus set which do the job, but they are just basic L-shaped.

Fine for occasional use, but a bit slow to manipulate.

Were I in a workshop or track environment I would prefer a T-handled set.

12boy

Guru
Wow, have I been schooled. Here we have Harbor Freight, seller of cheap Chinese tools. Got a set of plastic T-handles for 6 bucks and sets of loose L shaped ones going from 1.5 mm to 8mm for 3. I have about 15 years on the Ts and other than grinding down the 5 mm one, used the most, to an unused tip, no problems there. Recently bought a 6 buck set at Home Depot, largely because the plastic holder means I won't lose the really small ones. Because they are so light and cheap there is a set of the three used the most, 4, 5 and 6 mm, in my two tool rolls and lots in the shed. Most bolts on my fleet have been swapped out with better quality Allen head bolts (other than 15mm axle nuts) so carrying a bunch of wrenches isn't necessary. I do have a Park 8mm for BB bolts but otherwise I have gotten along ok with my crappy stuff. I dont like multi tools, although I have a few, since the jack knife style Allens don't give me much leverage and I find them awkward.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Teng give a lifetime warranty on their stuff & they are hard-wearing unlike cheaper ones from Screwfix etc

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Poor quality hex keys (softer metal) have a tendency to round off the tip and start slipping on the bolt head. This leads to the bolt head itself rounding off and becoming unworkable.

I have a park tool set. Car workshop ones might be better economy and just as durable.

rrarider

Veteran
The 7.99 set is far better, chrome vanadium.

Cheap tools hurt you and ruin hex heads
You would have to know the Rockwell hardness of each to say that for sure. In any case, the socket head machine screws on a bike are usually weedy little things, not as tight as cylinder head nuts. You can waste your own money if it makes you feel better.

This

http://www.morecyclinggear.co.uk/product/3/149459/Unior-Threelegged-Hex-Wrench-4x5x6-Wrenches.html

is the perfect companion to a set of hex keys. Easier to use for certain jobs (V brake set up comes to mind) and the clear labelling of the sizes is good - some don't have that and you have to peer at the tool every damn time you use it.

I have a shoot load of hex keys, and must waste 30 mins a fettle searching for one out if about four I actually use for working on the bikes most times.
you need the thing above - and/or get a set with a holder - and ALWAYS replace them in the holder after use.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The only set of tools that I have that is still complete, with all the bits in the right place, is my hex key set. From Wickes. Probably only cost a tenner or less knowing Wickes.

I also used to have one of those Y shaped three way keys with common sizes (4,5,6mm???) which was really useful. I don't know where it is now. It will probably turn up again one day.

Tenkaykev

Guru

I worked in an Engineering repair workshop for many years and Bondhus Allen keys were excellent. Sometimes we'd need to beat the crap out of them, grind them down, weld them to other bits of metal etc and they took it in their stride.
The only downside was that the more popular sizes seemed to spontaneously vanish into another dimension so we ended up with quite a few part sets.

gbb

Legendary Member
I use Wera on a daily basis, probably wear out 2 or 3 sets a year but it's my job and they really do get proper serious work. That said, they're round shafts so when the hex gets a bit tired you have to throw them but with hex shafted ones, you can grind them back and replenish the working surface. We use Wera because they're coloured, easy to find when we MUST account for everything when a job is done.
Bondhuis used to be my favoured ones, very good, no nonsense keys aimed at workshop users.
Teng tends to be good stuff
Facom, really good workshop quality.

Avoid...Anything branded Forge Steel from Screwfix, we've had a few bits, utter rubbish....but that said, I'm basing that on a workshop environment with daily use, for occasional use...hmmm, maybe ok.

Ironically I have cheapish penknife style key sets that have given sterling occasional use at home.

Top Bottom